Am I screwed?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Am I screwed? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 02' wrx with 160K. 4 months ago my turbo blew and i had it replaced. Well i was ...

Am I screwed?

I have 02' wrx with 160K. 4 months ago my turbo blew and i had it replaced. Well i was driving back home one night, and the drive was a little further then i take my car, and my oil light came on. I pulled over and checked my oil and the dip stick was dry. I check my fluids once a week and i know the level was fine 4 days earlier. I had some oil on me and i put 1 quart in. About 3 miles later my car started over heating and so i pulled over again and this time my antifreeze was empty. Filled that up, even though i know you are not supposed to put antifreeze into a hot car, i still did it. At this point i was about 1/2 mile from my house and i just drove home. When i got home i opened my hood and there was antifreeze everywhere but that tank was still filled.
    The car sat for the weekend and on Tuesday when i had a chance to bring it it to the shop i made a appointment. I didn't feel like paying to have it towed so i check all my fluids and the antifreeze was normal but there was actually to much oil in my car at this point which was weird. Turned my car on it gradually heated up and then started to over heat. Tried to turn on my heat in my car but there was no heat was coming out of my vents. Opened the hood i could smell the antifreeze burning but levels was still the same.
    I had it towed to Subaru, does anyone have any idea????
    No smoke coming out of the exhaust, i never drive the car hard and i was showing my friend who wanted to get a WRX the acceleration and about 10 minutes later all this happened. I am thinking head gasket? But i really hope not

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Antifreeze don't magically shoot out. Your gonna have to figure out where it came from. Possibly the radiator is cracked at the end tanks. As far as the oil, check for leaks,compression check. It might just be best to have a professional diagnose this if you are not mechanically inclined. A oil pressure gauge will help tell alot as well.
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-17-2009 at 06:48 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

they just called me, cracked radiator, need a new thermostat and water pump. Might be a head gasket leak but for some reason they cant finish, and a few other problems with brakes and suspension. I think this might be the end of this bugeye.

does anyone know if the radiator on a wrx is pressurized and if the water pump ties into the timing belt?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbmackin View Post
    does anyone know if the radiator on a wrx is pressurized and if the water pump ties into the timing belt?
    Yes, and yes.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Ok, i just went and got my car from the dealer and i think they were trying to screw me, over the phone i asked if they wanted to buy my car they said no but they would consider it for a trade it. When i went down there i looked at the estimate and everything on there was bull ****. They had my car 3 months ago and everything was fine, but since then they said the i needed a new timing belt and new water pump which are only 30,000 miles old. They said i needed to replace the head gasket but when i asked for the test results they told me that it actually passed but the first time they did the test it failed but when they reconnected it the second time there was no problems. They gave me a bunch of other random things and said all said and done total repair was around $6000.
    So i brought it to my buddy and said everything is fine the only thing i need is a radiator because it is cracked.
    So i am gonna put a radiator in and see what happens, i cant imagine all that work needs to be done when 3 months ago it was fine.
    Any recommendations about where and what kind of radiator to get. The one they quoted was $450..

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, i just went and got my car from the dealer and i think they were trying to screw me, over the phone i asked if they wanted to buy my car they said no but they would consider it for a trade it. When i went down there i looked at the estimate and everything on there was bull ****. They had my car 3 months ago and everything was fine, but since then they said the i needed a new timing belt and new water pump which are only 30,000 miles old. They said i needed to replace the head gasket but when i asked for the test results they told me that it actually passed but the first time they did the test it failed but when they reconnected it the second time there was no problems. They gave me a bunch of other random things and said all said and done total repair was around $6000.
    So i brought it to my buddy and said everything is fine the only thing i need is a radiator because it is cracked.
    So i am gonna put a radiator in and see what happens, i cant imagine all that work needs to be done when 3 months ago it was fine.
    Any recommendations about where and what kind of radiator to get. The one they quoted was $450..
    I am skeptical and guessed they were taking you for a ride. When mine cracked I went with the Mishimoto.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    /\ Mishimoto or Gimmik Motorsports. Both are all aluminium (no plastic endtanks and can be had for around $200-250 shipped.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hey guys i bought the moshimoto MMRAD-WRX-01 radiator and my mechanic is telling me it needs to be modified but the website said it is a direct bolt on and does not need any modifications. Has anyone ever installed this one before? really could use some info do not want to let this guy start plugging up stuff if there needs to be a hose there.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have personally installed one on a '03 with manual transmission.

Is yours a manual?

There should be no need for modification of the radiator. The hoses may need to be trimmed (most likely) and you may need to clearance the factory shroud slightly to fit the lower hose. He may be confused by the extra radiator cap and overflow nipple there? That just gets T-d into the other overflow line.

Ask him what specifically needs to be modified?

it is a manual and you are correct about the extra cap and the overflow line. Can i block that off or do i tie in into the other overflow line. I called moshimoto and they said that some models need to have it capped off and would not tell me if my model needed plugged or not.

I Support ClubWRX
    it is a manual and you are correct about the extra cap and the overflow line. Can i block that off or do i tie in into the other overflow line. I called moshimoto and they said that some models need to have it capped off and would not tell me if my model needed plugged or not.
    Mine is plugged off for now. It is easy to tell - there would be a line there that went to the old radiator and the old radiator would have a cap. If it was there they would have naturally stuck it on. '02s are the ones that are supposed to "need to be plugged". I didn't say this before because mine is an '03 and it did. There should have been a rubber cap in the kit they can use to cap it off but I would definitely not consider that permanent (It will dry rot and crack and it isn't the stock setup). You can get the metal line from the dealer and the extra rubber hose ideally if you want it right or you can t it in yourself with a T fitting and some coolant lines.

There is a pic of the stock setup with the two cap / two line system somewhere in the last few pages of the bugeye thread - let me look. It will make it much easier to understand.

I Support ClubWRX

I see.
    Thanks man you really went above and beyond answering my question with that picture, i appreciate all the help you have given me. I will have guy just install the radiator and then i will put the line in my self later on.

Registered User BrandonPaquette's Avatar
    johnbmackin did the new radiator fix the problem?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.