Subaru WRX Forum banner

question on brand new wrx

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Shadow 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am new on here and just bought my 2010 wrx sedan last week. So far the car is a blast to drive and I am very happy with it. My question for fellow 09, 10 owners is do you notice your steering wheel is not completely straight when driving straight. For some reason my wheel seems to be one inch or so to the right when driving in a straight line. I brought it back to the dealer and they said this seemed normal to the tech but they could offer me one free alignment. I dont think I should be having my brand new car with 300 miles sent out for an alignment so just curious what you guys all think. PS I am coming from 2 350z's and a civic si so this is my first subaru and first awd car. Thanks for any opinions!

#2 ·
Hi, welcome and congrats on the new WRX! Same thing with me on my WRX and STi. Could be a few things:

1) The steering wheel wasn't properly centered during the last alignment
2) Tire pressure could be all out of wack
3) For a perfect alignment, you'd need to sit in the car during the procedure if you drive alone often

I've had the issue before many times. It's annoying as all hell and just like you, the wheel is off center about an inch to the right so I'm always trying to hit bumps with the wheel turned to the left to try and straighten things out (that sounds retarded I know). So yes I'd say it's completely normal but it can be fixed if the techs are careful with the steering wheel position during the alignment.

#3 ·
I have an 09 (about 2k miles now) and my car does the same thing kinda... Some days the steering feels off while others it seems perfectly fine :screwy:

I just chalked it up to being a new car thing, hasnt caused me any problems so i figured im just gonna let it be.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies... I guess I am best off just leaving it. The dealership says the sub out alignment work to a local shop, and knowing my luck it would come back worse. Like I said drives fine just annoying when I look down the wheel seems like it is not perfectly centered. I just hit 300 miles so I will give it time.

#5 ·
knowing my luck it would come back worse.
Yep, took in the wrx, payed for the alignment, got it on the highway and sure enough it was worse. I could even take slight bends to the left with the steering wheel slightly to the right directly after the alignment.

#7 ·
If the car isn't pulling I wouldn't get too wound up about the position of the steering wheel.

If it is pulling, it could also be the tires, in which case rotating them might help.

Does it follow the crown of the road, so sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right? Then there's probably nothing you can do about it.

#8 ·
I had the same problem with both, my WRX and my wife's ImprezaGT. I put my WRX on our alignment rack at work and the toe was off just a tad. The camber on one side was just whacked out. Even with everything at spec, it's still a little bit off. But it's something I'm used to and it doesn't bother me too much now. Definitely better than before.

#11 ·
Ya the car does not pull just really when driving perfectly straight on a flat straight road the wheel is not dead center. I would say it is maybe an inch to the right. If I were to hold the wheel to what I would consider perfectly straight the car would be going slightly left. All in all not a big deal as the car drives straight, just more of an annoyance than anything. I didnt even notice when test driving (Prolly enjoying the car too much). I think I am just going to let it ride for now. I may test drive another one at the dealer when I go pick up my plates in a couple weeks to see if another 2010 is the same or if mine is off.

#14 ·
Well for some reason every day since my original post the car seemed better. Then on Monday I took a look at the tire pressure and like one of you stated it was all out of whack. They were all over the place between 38-42 psi when the sticker on the car suggested 32-33. I adjusted and now everything seems to be normal. I guess I figured they would check the pressure on a brand new car before delivering it, but I was obviously wrong. Thanks for all of your feedback.

#15 ·
Something else to keep in mind: the off center steering wheel may be a Subaru feature. I've got a 2002 WRX with 128000 miles and a 2009 WRX with 5000 miles, and both of them get the dreaded memory steer. Search the forum, and you should find extra information regarding this problem. Whiteline makes replacement steering rack bushings for the previous generation WRXs, as well as the 2008+ model years.

-Shadow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.