rear defroster causes bad radio static

This is a discussion on rear defroster causes bad radio static within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have an 07 wrx. when i use the rear defroster my stock radio signal is all static. i am ...

rear defroster causes bad radio static

i have an 07 wrx. when i use the rear defroster my stock radio signal is all static. i am guessing that the rear defroster and radio antenna together in the rear window is the cause for the static. mostly use my satellite radio with the fm transmitter till i get my new system installed. it also does it with the regular radio stations. my question is anyone else have this problem? can it be fixed? how to fix it? when i install my new system once i get the rest of the items needed will i still have this problem. thanks for the help.
    Last edited by irvin787878; 11-12-2009 at 02:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have an 06 wrx wagon and my radio has been static since i got it....i too am trying to figure it out.

i dont recall ever having the defrosters on though

i have only had the trouble when i use the defroster. i really noticed it about the last month cause i have had to use it about every morning going to work.

one of the grids is possibly broken on your rear window....when this is broken it will mix around the radio signals..there was a TSB about this I believe I read not to long ago...

can you tell by looking at it if there is a grid broken. everything i found searching had nothing to do with the defroster just tint. i dont have any tint so thats not a problem. thanks for the help so far

No prob man..you can sometimes look very closely and see if it is broken..or the next time you use your defrost see which line of the grid isn't working..you can also check the grid with a volt meter..you should have 12.6V available to the grid on each line with the defroster on...check across the grid so when/if you get a reading of less than battery voltage you will know where (if) it is broken...This is the first place I would start...Considering there is a TSB on it... Am I correct to assume without the rear defroster on the radio works normally?

i just fixed a vehicle today with the same problem if you dont have tint u could use a multimeter or what i found works great take steel wool roll it up and drag it across the grid while its on if its broken even if you cant see it it will spark and burn the wool a lil and smoke
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Am I correct to assume without the rear defroster on the radio works normally?
    yes the radio is works perfect when the defroster is off

Quote Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
    i just fixed a vehicle today with the same problem if you dont have tint u could use a multimeter or what i found works great take steel wool roll it up and drag it across the grid while its on if its broken even if you cant see it it will spark and burn the wool a lil and smoke
    thanks

thanks alot for the help i will try these suggestions after work tomorrow and i will let you know what i find

Quote Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
    Good Idea, thanks for the tip man... I just recently learned that you can start an immediate fire with steel wool and a 9v battery..lol..not to get off topic here or anything..

my 07 does this as well but considering how little I use the fm radio I've decided to be lazy and leave it.
    -Dan
    2007 WRX TR

ok i tried the steel wool cause my meter is digital and the battery was dead. but anyway the steel wool gave me sparks in 2 of the gids in the lower corner on the driverside. how do i fix it is it hard to do and expensive. my car is just over the factory warrenty but i got the extended i think i will check to see if it is covered but knowing my luck its not. any help would be great thanks alot in advance.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

you can buy kits from NAPA and such..I believe Permatex makes a kit to repair it..

ok thanks i will look into it after i call the dealership thanks for the help
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html