Blue smoke after long idle

This is a discussion on Blue smoke after long idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2002 WRX This happens when the car is cold(ish) and I get caught at a light or something... a couple ...

Blue smoke after long idle

2002 WRX

This happens when the car is cold(ish) and I get caught at a light or something... a couple of minutes of idling, and when I go to accelerate I get a puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust. It will stop within about 1 city block.

Doesn't seem to happen after the car has been running 5-10 minutes and gets fully warm. Oil level is fine, coolant is ok, temp is stable. Haven't noticed any loss of power.

Local shop took a look at it and is guessing valve guide seals or valve stem seal. They also suggested a thicker oil (I just bought the car, not sure what oil it has now).

I did some googling and it seems more likely that it's the PCV valve or busted turbo seal.

Thoughts? Things to check?
    I am kind of a noob but I can handle a wrench and I'm learning fast.

Thanks for any help or 2nd opinions.
    The only things we're born knowing how to do are defecate and complain. For everything else, there's Google.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, your probably on the right track. Pull off the intercooler and look for oil - there is typically some residue or maybe a little that you can dump, but definitely not a puddle. With that off you can get to the PCV, I'd just replace it. You can pull the DP and see if the turbo is leaking out that way (maybe let it idle for a few minutes first in case it is all burning off during normal driving). You can also pull the plugs and see if there is oil on any or all (any would be more likely an internal problem, all would be external). They are a bit of a PITA to get to but if you take them out you can do a compression test as well.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Pull off the intercooler and look for oil - there is typically some residue or maybe a little that you can dump, but definitely not a puddle.
    I replaced the PCV last night before I read this and when I took of the IC I was like "WTF is this residue?!" It's not a puddle or even that bad I just didn't know what to expect. Also switched to 10w30. No smoke at all this morning and the exhaust smells cleaner. I give it a couple more days before declaring victory, and maybe check the plugs and DP this weekend just 'cause.

And... eff that big Y hose under the IC.
    The only things we're born knowing how to do are defecate and complain. For everything else, there's Google.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Be sure to drain the intercooler.