What is this plug & why is it oil covered?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What is this plug & why is it oil covered? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was doing an oil change, noticed these two plugs. Clearly the one to the left in the picture is ...

What is this plug & why is it oil covered?

I was doing an oil change, noticed these two plugs. Clearly the one to the left in the picture is saturated in engine oil. Its not a constant drip, but enough that it is saturated and had a bit forming a drip.

Its between the exhaust manifold and oil pan, you can see the oil filter to the right.

Any thoughts...?

2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is the bottom of the oil pump..the one that is not covered in oil is the other part...it goes up behind the timing belt and crank sproket/crank pulley and wraps around the crankshaft...

So would it be possible that it just vibrated loose a bit and it will be fine after tightened? Or is this a sign of something else. Im driving roundtrip to Vegas in a few weeks, and then to Detroit and back a few weeks after that. Im hoping to be breakdown free.

hmmm..well you could try tightening it..when you do that clean it off with some brakleen so you know if it will leak again....that doesnt look like to bad of a leak at all to me at least from the pic..how many miles are on this vehicle? you front crank seal isnt leaking is it? does the vehicle have any other oil leaks that you have noticed?

It has 109000. I recently had my 105k service done including the crank and cam seals. No other leaks that ive noticed.

hmmm well I will put it this way I have never seen one of those plugs come loose..not saying it cant happen..I would spray her down with some brakleen and see what you've got in a couple days..... could be some residual from the leaking crank seal if they just replaced it...

Ill clean it up and make sure its tight. When I picked up the car, he said none of the seals were leaking, but replaced them since I had already provided the parts. Everything was In good condition.

Ill just keep watching it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.