VF39 Burning Some Oil ???

This is a discussion on VF39 Burning Some Oil ??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have a 05 WRX with 40K, just finished my install on the VF39 couple of days ago, here are my ...

Exclamation VF39 Burning Some Oil ???

Have a 05 WRX with 40K, just finished my install on the VF39 couple of days ago, here are my upgrade list TBE, VF39, invidia Upipe, Sti TMIC, Sti 06-07 blue injectors and walboro fule pump currently running cobb map, will be pro-tuned soon. Now here is the problem after i have done the install i noticed that there is some light blue smoke coming out of my exhaust when the car idols, even when the car has been warmed up. The VF39 is used the guy that i bought it from claims it has 10K on it, now when i removed my TD04 anc compared both the VF39 hd a little shaft play, and i mean very little you really have to move the shaft for it to move from side to side, very little, on the other hand when i took out the TD04 it had almost no shaft play. Now i am thinking are the turbo barrings gone, how can find out why it is taking on oil on the exhaust, how can i know if it is the turbo doing it, the other thing is i did the up-pipe install during the turbo install,,,,any suggestions please
    Last edited by yusych; 11-08-2009 at 12:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If its burning oil then the rear seal is leaking. Unfortunately VF39's and all other IHI VF RB55 series turbos( VF30,VF22,VF34,VF43,VF48,VF52,VF40,VF23,VF23,VF28, VF29.........)are not rebuildable. Some shaft play is normal for journal bearing turbos.

Troubleshooting
    and
    What causes a turbo to fail?

If you have a problem with your turbocharger, here are some potential things to look out for:
    Oil Consumption:
    Oil coming out the turbine (rear) side on a recently replaced turbo.
    We have seen lots of this type of concern:
    Check PCV valve
    Check compression
    Check oil outlet - must NOT be obstructed or kinked
    Check oil inlet size
    Most times, especially on new or rebuilt turbos, when the turbo leaks oil out the turbine seal, it is not necessarily a bad turbo. Things such as improper oil drain can cause this. The oil cannot drain out the bottom of the turbo so it passes out the seal. Low compression or bad PCV valves can also cause this problem. These can lead to higher-than-normal crankcase pressure, which will not allow the oil to flow out the drain tube, and again leak out the turbine seal. In some rare occurances, vehicles need an oil restrictor in the oil supply line. Many cars that run very high oil pressure and large diameter oil supply lines will need this to prevent actually blowing oil through the turbo, and straight out the turbine seal.
    Oil coming out of the compressor (front) side:
    Some of the same problems as above can cause this symptom.
    Check PCV valve
    Check compression
    Check oil outlet - must nOT be obstructed or kinked
    Check oil inlet size
    Strange Noises
    It is usually quite easy to hear when something has gone wrong with your turbocharger. Rattling, scraping, or screeching sounds are VERY bad.
    If you hear a noise that does not sound normal, IMMEDIATELY shut the car down. Make an attempt at minimizing damage.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well i think the car is running rich and not burning oil and one thing that i did noticed is that the car hesitates on low rpm's when i punch it, is that wknowin to happen with rich