New Brakes And Clutch help

This is a discussion on New Brakes And Clutch help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey yall I bought my 04 wrx (stock) this year and the clutch is feeling pretty used. I am looking ...

New Brakes And Clutch help

Hey yall

I bought my 04 wrx (stock) this year and the clutch is feeling pretty used. I am looking to get a new one. I do a little road racing, but I do drive hard on the street. Does anyone know if an OEM is fine or should I upgrade to a stage 1 or something? If so is there a good place to buy one?

Also my brakes are squeaking does are there any good pads out the for these cars. I was thinking Hawk.
    2004 GTO
    2004 WRX wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can get a good clutch anywhere. Do you have any mods or significant power increase over stock? That will tell you your answer to what kind. The stock Subaru clutches are actually very good and reliable at holding power. Also, you don't want too beefy of a clutch on a stock WRX Tranny because it will be more liable to wreck the tranny if you beat around on it.

As for brakes...Hawks are good. I had Hawk HPS on my STI, and now have them on my 350z and couldn't be happier.

If you want budget pads...I've found through first hand experience that Duralast Gold pads from Autozone are actually REALLY good as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I'm going to stay stock for now. Eventually I want a newer sti motor and trans, but for now its just a commuter car. When ever something goes out need replacing I try to get premium though.

So looks like The OEM clutch is good and Hawk pads.
    2004 GTO
    2004 WRX wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I recommend the exedy OEM WRX clutch replacement kit - it is the stock unit but is way cheaper if you get it online (search for the above) instead of a Subaru dealer.

I'm only on my second set of pads, Axxis Ultimate. They are dirty but work great. Many people swear by the Ferrodo 2500 if you can get any that fit (can't recall if they are available for '04).

Also, if your rear rotors need replacement, look up the "H6 brake mod" - it is a good mod that gives a little more rear bias (standard for the rest of the world) and stopping power by using larger legacy rear rotors and caliper brackets.

I'm going to move this thread to General Maintenance BTW.
    Last edited by mycologist; 11-04-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb