Front Brakes 2008
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Front Brakes 2008 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just tried changing front brake pads on my wife's 2008 impreza sport. She told me last week that she ...

Front Brakes 2008

I just tried changing front brake pads on my wife's 2008 impreza sport. She told me last week that she was getting a brake light coming on the dash.
    I have never done brakes on a subaru, but have done many on Chrysler, ford, honda, etc.

For some reason the passenger side is binding up with the new pads? I had purchased new rotors as well, but didn't bother to use them. The old ones don't look that bad. I even tried a new rotors on that side as well, but it didn't make a difference. She only has 50,000 kms on the car.

I ended up putting the old pads back on for now.

The other thing I noticed is the pad kit came with only one pad with the wear tab, the other three are identical. The pad kit came with a piece of paper saying that the wear tab goes on the passenger side only (right side)?

Anyone have an ideas what could be wrong? The other side feels great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If the brake light is on check the fluid level first...on these cars the only reason the brake light will illuminate is because either your low on fluid or the e-brake is engaged...it is the BRAKE light right? and not the ABS light or anything else? Did you get factory dealer OEM pads? I would highly recommend it on any Subaru which is not modified..These cars can be touchy with aftermarket brake components not to mention they fit like crap..did you lubricate the pad slides?...Either way the brake pad with the wear indicator is the inboard pad on the passenger side...how did you compress the brake caliper piston? Did your remove the cap on the brake fluid resevoir before you pushed the piston into the caliper?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 11-01-2009 at 05:11 PM.

They are factory pads. I compressed the caliper back slowly with the old pad a small c-clamp.

The caliper seems to be working fine.

My wife said she is seeing the exclaimation symbol with brackets. The fluid level seems fine and the emergency break seems to be fine.

I just help my buddy change front pads in his 2003 Audi A4. The audi has sensors in the pads. He was getting the same symbol on his dash. I thought the newer impreza's might be using sensors as well. I learned today that Subaru's don't use sensors, so I don't think the pads could cause that symbol to appear? The pads were pretty worn though and definately needed to be changed.

I suspect the light she is seeing may be the emergency break? She says it has been coming and going the last two weeks. I may end up sending it to the dealer to check this one out????

Too easy...it's the tire pressure light if you are seeing an exclamation point. The brackets she is seeing kinda look like a horseshoe that is supposed to be the outline of an underinflated tire. Very common when the seasons change. Check and set all tire pressures. The light comes on when tire pressure gets below 30psi or so. Drive it a mile or so if the light is on after setting tire pressure and the light should go out.
    Problem solved.

All the lights in your gauge cluster are explained in the owner's manual.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 11-01-2009 at 07:36 PM.

+1 ^...Thats why I asked to make sure it was the BRAKE light.... After you adjust the tire pressure ( in the winter I set them all to around 35 PSI on these cars, this prevents the tire pressure from getting down to 27 PSI which will kick the light on even when the tires are cold, of course the pressure should be adjusted cold..lol... )if you hit 40 mph it will shut the light off as long as you don't have any other codes in the system....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.