Normal oil consumption?

This is a discussion on Normal oil consumption? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just out of curiosity, what is considered normal oil consumption? I've heard many people say that with forced induction you ...

Normal oil consumption?

Just out of curiosity, what is considered normal oil consumption? I've heard many people say that with forced induction you need watch the oil level more closely, especially when running it hard. I did some spirited mountain driving last weekend and was a bit surprised to see the oil level so low afterward--about 2/3 down the dipstick. How concerned should I be for a 2009 with under 5k miles? Obviously I'll be watching it closely no matter what.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am not even close to an authority on the issue.It [oil loss in my ej257] raises more questions than answers every time I get into it.
    That said,if you agree or disagree etc... do not consider me the documenter or even supporter of this info.I personally think it is total bull****.

The API [America petrol Institute] has determined that 1 qt gone MIA per 1000 miles,in between factory mandated interval changes is NORMAL
    This has been adopted and now is written in stone by all car manufacturers with models that have passed emissions,and sold here in this country.
    No consideration is given for either synthetic,or dyno oil.
    No consideration for turbo or nat. aspirated cars is given either.Also,aggressive driving,weather,etc... is not used
    as a gauge.

Just group them all together...What a ****ing joke
    If you has a Turbo subi model=you better has a spare qt on board.

Interesting information. That is pretty ridiculous that they lump together all types of motors and oils but I guess it makes for an easy and low standard for manufacturers to meet. Also explains why there is supposedly a note in the manual that says 1qt/1,000 miles would be considered 'normal' under certain conditions.

From what I've heard elsewhere it sounds as though my car seems to have burned more oil than most but is nothing alarming. I admittedly did run the car pretty hard and if it continues I'll try other oils. Who knows if it will even matter in the long run--I have an 08/08 build date and the motor may be gone in a few thousand miles anyway.