Cel p0420

This is a discussion on Cel p0420 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went to the dealership this weekend because I had a CEL and pulled the code p0420 at auto zone ...

Cel p0420

I went to the dealership this weekend because I had a CEL and pulled the code p0420 at auto zone and they told me it was the Catalitic Converter. I have 79,745 mile on the car and the dealeship told me it was just the O2 sensor and replaced it for $514. When I was driving home the CEL came back on. I understand that the emissions warranty is 8 years or 80k miles. Do you guys think the dealeship cleared the code and replaced my O2 sensor hoping it wouldn't come back until I passed 80k miles so they wouldn't have to pay for warranty work? The problem now is I live 250 miles from the colsest Subaru dealer and I still have to get to work this week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    $514 for a rear O2 sensor!!! There is a very easy fix if your car is an 02-05 WRX:
    THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR 04+ STI'S OR 06+ WRX'S
    spark plug extender/anti-fouler
    NASIOC - View Single Post - Non-permanent mechanical rear O2 CEL fix

NASIOC - View Single Post - Non-permanent mechanical rear O2 CEL fix

But honestly I would take that thing back and see if you can't get a refund. You can jack the car up and see if they actually replaced the part. It should be pretty obvious if they did or not.
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-27-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yea dude $500 is absolutely insane...Parts and Labor should prob be around $300 if that....

Donkey- Thanks for those links man..I was always wondering how to do that...

I Support ClubWRX
    NP! They also used to sell an electronic fix but it would cause problems sometimes. Best solution is changing the thresholds through engine management.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S