Cold weather rattle/clacking/squeaking from front end

This is a discussion on Cold weather rattle/clacking/squeaking from front end within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, Im wondering if anyone has experienced this clacking in their WRX? My car is pretty much stock suspension, stock ...

Cold weather rattle/clacking/squeaking from front end

Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has experienced this clacking in their WRX? My car is pretty much stock suspension, stock motor. I have been searching on the forums but nothing really matches my symptoms. Here are my symptoms:

- The clacking/squeak seems to come from the front underside of the car

- Clacking sound only happens when the outside temperature is close to 0 degrees celcius or below and will continue even after the engine is warm. The rattle does not happen when the outside temperature is warmer like 10 degrees C or above.

- I hear One clack if i go over bumps/potholes. however multiple clacks like when the engine is under load. Usually when i am letting out the clutch and on the throttle. the rattle happens usually in low RPMS 600 - 2700RPMs in gears 1-3. above those RPMS there is no clacking.

- There is no clacking when the engine is idleing, or if i just rev the engine with the clutch in, or the gear is in neutral.

- Ive checked my transmission mounts and crossmember bolts, they are not loose, I have also checked my sway bars and endlinks also not loose.

- The clacking will happen even when im going straight so i dont think its the CV joints or boots leaking. I have tried jerking the wheel left and right while moving forward but no clacking or rattling.

- I've read it could be the timing belt or AC belts getting loose, but im not sure if that would be the case since the clacking only happens when its cold outside.

Any idea what I should be checking next? What part of the car would be affected by bumps on the road AND driveline load? I cant bring it in to the dealer until i can reproduce this consistenly which will probably mean after the temperature drops below 0 here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by poopeebum View Post
    Hello,

Im wondering if anyone has experienced this clacking in their WRX? My car is pretty much stock suspension, stock motor. I have been searching on the forums but nothing really matches my symptoms. Here are my symptoms:

- The clacking/squeak seems to come from the front underside of the car

- Clacking sound only happens when the outside temperature is close to 0 degrees celcius or below and will continue even after the engine is warm. The rattle does not happen when the outside temperature is warmer like 10 degrees C or above.

- I hear One clack if i go over bumps/potholes. however multiple clacks like when the engine is under load. Usually when i am letting out the clutch and on the throttle. the rattle happens usually in low RPMS 600 - 2700RPMs in gears 1-3. above those RPMS there is no clacking.

- There is no clacking when the engine is idleing, or if i just rev the engine with the clutch in, or the gear is in neutral.

- Ive checked my transmission mounts and crossmember bolts, they are not loose, I have also checked my sway bars and endlinks also not loose.

- The clacking will happen even when im going straight so i dont think its the CV joints or boots leaking. I have tried jerking the wheel left and right while moving forward but no clacking or rattling.

- I've read it could be the timing belt or AC belts getting loose, but im not sure if that would be the case since the clacking only happens when its cold outside.

Any idea what I should be checking next? What part of the car would be affected by bumps on the road AND driveline load? I cant bring it in to the dealer until i can reproduce this consistenly which will probably mean after the temperature drops below 0 here.
    look in the bold print..so it doesn't happen even when its cold and your idling or rev it?.... if not, this pretty much rules out the engine as being the problem..unless it only happens when the engine is under load...So its only when your driving?..I would go over the entire suspension/steering system...shake down the front end and everything...How many miles are on the vehicle? what year? The first thing I noticed is that your in Canada so snow and ice came to mind...It doesn't only happen when its snowing or anything does it? Obviously things expand as they heat up Its easy enough to check the tension and condition of your drive belts So I would do that also...The only thing I can think of as a real clacking noise from the engine is either the plagued Subaru cold piston slap/valve train noise or the timing belt hitting the cover....you don't have any loose heat shields or a loose undercover do you?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 10-28-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    look in the bold print..so it doesn't happen even when its cold and your idling or rev it?.... if not, this pretty much rules out the engine as being the problem..unless it only happens when the engine is under load...So its only when your driving?..I would go over the entire suspension/steering system...shake down the front end and everything...How many miles are on the vehicle? what year? The first thing I noticed is that your in Canada so snow and ice came to mind...It doesn't only happen when its snowing or anything does it? Obviously things expand as they heat up Its easy enough to check the tension and condition of your drive belts So I would do that also...The only thing I can think of as a real clacking noise from the engine is either the plagued Subaru cold piston slap/valve train noise or the timing belt hitting the cover....you don't have any loose heat shields or a loose undercover do you?
    My car is a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero which is the same as a 2005 Impreza WRX wagon. Its got 88,000 kms on it so i think around 55,000 miles?

Nope i dont hear the clacking when its cold and just idling or revving the engine. I only hear the clacking when im under throttle in gears 1-3, it doesnt even make the clacking noise in reverse.

One more thing thats become more apparent now: The clacking turns to more of a squeaking sound when i go over bumps and im on the throttle. HOWEVER! if im not on the throttle and i go over bumps theres no clacking or squeaking!!! even in gear WTF???

Also I do believe the clacking and squeaking disappears after i drive the car for a while, it just takes a long time for it to go away even after the engine is warmed up. so Im going to guess its something drivetrain/suspension related as it takes longer for those parts to warm up after the engine warms up.

I will check my suspension over the weekend and see what i find.

Quote Originally Posted by poopeebum View Post
    My car is a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero which is the same as a 2005 Impreza WRX wagon. Its got 88,000 kms on it so i think around 55,000 miles?

Nope i dont hear the clacking when its cold and just idling or revving the engine. I only hear the clacking when im under throttle in gears 1-3, it doesnt even make the clacking noise in reverse.

One more thing thats become more apparent now: The clacking turns to more of a squeaking sound when i go over bumps and im on the throttle. HOWEVER! if im not on the throttle and i go over bumps theres no clacking or squeaking!!! even in gear WTF???

Also I do believe the clacking and squeaking disappears after i drive the car for a while, it just takes a long time for it to go away even after the engine is warmed up. so Im going to guess its something drivetrain/suspension related as it takes longer for those parts to warm up after the engine warms up.

I will check my suspension over the weekend and see what i find.
    I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are...If I was you I would give the entire car a good check over...engine,trans rear diff, steering,suspension,brakes...everything..

I realize this post is years old.. but would like to ad that mine does the same exact thing.. its a 2010 with 55,000 miles. I noticed if I hold my gear shifter snuggly against the left side (while in 2nd gear) it quiets the noise. Cant give you a diagnosis but maybe help you or someone that knows a little more out.