Im wondering if anyone has experienced this clacking in their WRX? My car is pretty much stock suspension, stock motor. I have been searching on the forums but nothing really matches my symptoms. Here are my symptoms:
- The clacking/squeak seems to come from the front underside of the car
- Clacking sound only happens when the outside temperature is close to 0 degrees celcius or below and will continue even after the engine is warm. The rattle does not happen when the outside temperature is warmer like 10 degrees C or above.
- I hear One clack if i go over bumps/potholes. however multiple clacks like when the engine is under load. Usually when i am letting out the clutch and on the throttle. the rattle happens usually in low RPMS 600 - 2700RPMs in gears 1-3. above those RPMS there is no clacking.
- There is no clacking when the engine is idleing, or if i just rev the engine with the clutch in, or the gear is in neutral.
- Ive checked my transmission mounts and crossmember bolts, they are not loose, I have also checked my sway bars and endlinks also not loose.
- The clacking will happen even when im going straight so i dont think its the CV joints or boots leaking. I have tried jerking the wheel left and right while moving forward but no clacking or rattling.
- I've read it could be the timing belt or AC belts getting loose, but im not sure if that would be the case since the clacking only happens when its cold outside.
Any idea what I should be checking next? What part of the car would be affected by bumps on the road AND driveline load? I cant bring it in to the dealer until i can reproduce this consistenly which will probably mean after the temperature drops below 0 here.