Yay a new sound!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Yay a new sound! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the other morning I started hearing this whining sound at idle. It was the first time I've heard it, ...

Yay a new sound!

So the other morning I started hearing this whining sound at idle. It was the first time I've heard it, and after I shut off the car and turned it back on, it went away, so I didnt really think about it. Now the sound is back. Not every time, but most of the time at idle its there. I thought it was my turbo barrings going, but when I poped the hood and listened, it sounded like it was coming from the top side of the motor, something on the serpentine belt. I think its either the alternator, or whatever sits on the right side of that. I was in the taco bell parking lot so I didnt really check it out too much, I heard the sound again and wanted to see what it was.
    It sounds almost like a super charger whine at idle. Sounds cool as hell, but I know its not
    Any ideas, and anyone know the estimated price to replace the alternator on a bugeye?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles on the car? Has the timing belt service been performed?

I'd be more suspicious of the waterpump or timing belt pulley.

93000 on the car. I've only had the car for over a year, so I dont know about the timing belt.

Timing belt is due at 105,000 miles, so it's likely not been done.

I dont think its a timing belt. It sounds like one of the pullies.

I meant, it might be one of the pulleys on the timing belt. There are 3 (i think), plus the waterpump, and the belt tensioner.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mainte...mp-replacement.

Anyway to answer your original question, $100-200 for the alternator, and 1-2 hour labor $60-180.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 10-27-2009 at 11:17 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Possibly the idler pully on the alternator belt. Mine came apart and put a hole in my timing belt cover. bought a replacement at autozone that has a flange and seems to be better. Before it broke it made a whining sound as the bearing was going.

I'm pretty sure thats the issue. How much was the replacement?

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it was about 28.00 not sure but not much. The adjuster which is plastic had to be replaced also. It got ate up by the belt rubbing on it. Hopefully not in your case. Good Luck Bahama

I had the same noise, it was a whining, whirring sound. It sort of reminded me of a failing automatic transmission, or maybe like an electric r/c car. Same noise in or out of gear, and it got higher/lower pitched with engine speed.

Car is a 2002 with about 95K, took it in and they did timing belt job (TB, associated pulleys, water pump, some other stuff). That was $1200. They also replaced the A/C idler pulley for another $50 or so. Unfortunately that means I don't know which pulley was actually making the noise, but it is gone now.

Bottom line: if you have anything near 105K and have not had a timing belt changed, you should do that first because it could be the source of the noise. It will be a major headache if it fails. If that doesn't fix the noise, the other pulleys are easier and cheaper to replace than the ones on the TB.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Anyway to answer your original question, $100-200 for the alternator, and 1-2 hour labor $60-180.
    I agree that the alternator itself is not the most likely source of the noise. If it was, wouldn't it tend to lead to problems starting or the battery light coming on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamabob View Post
    Possibly the idler pully on the alternator belt. Mine came apart and put a hole in my timing belt cover. bought a replacement at autozone that has a flange and seems to be better. Before it broke it made a whining sound as the bearing was going.
    Ditto, except for the making a hole part. Costed me no more then $40.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Our Outback is doing this - the timing belt was replaced 10K ago too. I was thinking a bearing in the alternator or the idler as suggested. Guess I should fix it and find out
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The A/C Idler pulley seazed on mine and snapped the belt actually melted the plastic housing of the pulley right to the bearing insert and right to the tensioner arm. less then 40 bucks to fix though.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.