Major Problem starting....

This is a discussion on Major Problem starting.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK first off I hope I am posting this in the right spot for the right people to see..... My ...

Exclamation Major Problem starting....

OK first off I hope I am posting this in the right spot for the right people to see.....

My situation is this, today was out with family running around. We went to our first stop with out issue. Then we leave and head to our second stop, still no issue we go to leave the store and ... nothing. The car will not start, all I get is a small electrical clicking sound. Everything else is fine, battery voltage and connections are good. No CEL either, and my AP monitoring was all steady nothing else out of the ordinary. So it was to hot for me to have the wife and 1 year old to sit here so I had gotten us a ride home so I could figure out where to get my vehicle towed for repair Monday morning (my local Subaru shop just recently closed "Collier Subaru of Winter Park). So now the car has sat for about 3 hours and I decide to have my wife run me over and try to jump start even though battery specs seem fine and voltage was good, ya never know. Well we get there and I figure wh not try to start it, couldnt hurt. Bingo the car starts right up no hesitation at all. What the hell could be my issue, I have never had an issue with starting, or battery problems. Any help or advice would be great.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im sure u already did this, but mine did the same thing but i checked my battery terminals and on the inside of my ground/neutral there was carousion that i couldn't see without taking it off, that was preventing it from making full contact with the battery post. but if u have a manual wrx u could just push start it next time. good luck i hope your subie is ok. ps tail lights look sweet

it could very well be a bad battery. voltage is only part of the equation for batteries. cold cranking amps are a bit more important, especially if it was hot outside and even hotter in the engine compartment. go to your local walmart (shameless plug lol) and have them test it for free, its best if you have some shopping to do tho because it can take up to an hour if the tester wants to try to charge it.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC.R3X87 View Post
    im sure u already did this, but mine did the same thing but i checked my battery terminals and on the inside of my ground/neutral there was carousion that i couldn't see without taking it off, that was preventing it from making full contact with the battery post. but if u have a manual wrx u could just push start it next time. good luck i hope your subie is ok. ps tail lights look sweet
    Thanks for help, yeah I made sure of all connections. That was my first guess a loose wire but everything seemed clean and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba2708 View Post
    it could very well be a bad battery. voltage is only part of the equation for batteries. cold cranking amps are a bit more important, especially if it was hot outside and even hotter in the engine compartment. go to your local walmart (shameless plug lol) and have them test it for free, its best if you have some shopping to do tho because it can take up to an hour if the tester wants to try to charge it.

Honestly that may be it, I live here in wonderful COOL CLIMATE central Florida and the engine bay was extremely warm. Did not even think of the temp. perameters of the battery. Will be doing this first thing tomorow, just so I dont ask the wrong thing what exactly should I ask them to test. Just that I need a battery test?
    Thanks for the help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    It a battery "load test". Any Autozone or Advanced Auto will do it as well. Also once you can get the car running,verify you are getting the proper alternator voltage as well. Warmed up should be between 13.6-14 volts.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S