When it rains

This is a discussion on When it rains within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I'm wondering if any of you have had my experience. It seems like whenever ever there is a ...

When it rains

Hey guys I'm wondering if any of you have had my experience. It seems like whenever ever there is a huge amount of rain, my car will sputter after being parked for a while. In the first couple instance of it happening, it would sputter, buck and hesitate (Like a bad misfire,) when it gets to 4000 rpm. Yesterday after sitting in the lot for the duration of my work shift ( I drove to work in the rain also) it would tumble and then shut off, as if it was starved for air. In order for it to keep Idling I had to press the accelerator and it started to sputter. Sounded like water was mixed with the fuel or the plugs were fouled. I have no mods, except for an SPT intake and silencer delete. I took off intake filter to check for any noticeable amount of moisture, but nothing to phone about. Please Help guys/ gals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hope this helps

the same thing happened with my car i took it to the garage and the guy said i had some water in my gas lines. it was in the middle of winter he asked me if i drive with less then a quarter tank often, and i did being a poor college student. he told me condensation forms in the gas tank and mixes with the gas causing the water in the gas lines. he flushed the lines and the car worked fine ever since. so now in the winter i dont let it go passed half

Rain

Thanks man. The strange thing is the tank was full. Will try adding a fuel system cleaner on my next fill up. Anyone knows if redline is safe to use on our cars?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd put money on the intake getting wet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'd put money on the intake getting wet.
    Yep. Common problem with people that have short ram intakes with the filter close to the fender wall. When it rains hard water makes it into the channel between the fender and hood. Ends up making a wet spot on the filter and once the car is started it contaminates the MAF sensor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Gracias

Hey Sinister and Donkey, I think you guys may be right. I really appreciate your imput. (You to R3X387) I think by removing the snorkus the water has no where to go. The end of the snorkus delete tube ( that enters the engine bay) sits below the filter, but I guess some spray ends up on the filter. ?uestion. Those little episodes I had, is that the start of any detrimental effect or the fact that its running well again means it's ok?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shello007 View Post
    Hey Sinister and Donkey, I think you guys may be right. I really appreciate your imput. (You to R3X387) I think by removing the snorkus the water has no where to go. The end of the snorkus delete tube ( that enters the engine bay) sits below the filter, but I guess some spray ends up on the filter. ?uestion. Those little episodes I had, is that the start of any detrimental effect or the fact that its running well again means it's ok?
    it's not from spray coming up from the wheel well... it's from the rain draining between the hood and the fender and landing on your filter.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!