Cyl 3 misfire. Possible causes?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cyl 3 misfire. Possible causes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have had a problem with Cylinder 3 missfire on my 02 WRX for a while now. It started happening ...

Cyl 3 misfire. Possible causes?

I have had a problem with Cylinder 3 missfire on my 02 WRX for a while now. It started happening awhile ago, and every time I would do something like replace the spark plugs, fuel filter, tighten fuel hoses, the CEL would go off and every thing would seem good. Also of note is the first couple of times this happened I did not feel any difference in the way my car drove. But just recently the CEL came on and this time I could definitely feel that my car was suffering. I plugged my Cobb access port in and read the code. sure enough Cyl 3 missfire. The engine also picked up a fluttering noise and doesn't seem to have nearly as much power as it did. I have heard that it is probably the distrib caps on top of the spark plugs. But I wanted to confirm this with the WRX community before going out and dropping $650 on new caps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of people have struggled with this. There really can be no guarantee that replacing the coil packs will fix the problem. You can swap them around and see if the misfire cylinder changes though.

I'm not sure if the noise is directly related, but that sounds kind of bad.

This might be some help:
    P0303 Misfire Needs New Engine? Please Advise!!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks for the reply. I sure as hell hope it is not the same problems that the link you provided was detailing. But I am concerned, because previously it was just a solid CEL, and recently it is a flashing CEL. As soon as it started flashing at me I got it home and now it sits in the garage waiting to be revived. I don't have a lot of money and was wondering if there is a way to check the coil packs. Doing a continuity test, or voltage test etc. Does any one know?

Though it might not be related, I had the same issue with misfiring in my Skyline when I was in Japan. Power suffered tremendously. Upon changing my spark plugs I only noticed a slight change in the response that my car had. It wasn't until I actually dremeled the coil packs that I really felt a distinct difference in power. It was like night and day. I don't suggest dremeling things people don't understand though cause you could take off more than the corrosion/debris.

Switch around the coils, if you get a misfire on a different cylinder its that. If not, switch around the injectors and see if you get a misfire else were. If not you may have a blown head gasket.

Edit- Meh old threads being bumped :unamused: Hope it worked out for the OP.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

It would seem that I have fixed the prob

I installed a do it myself grounding kit/mod, and immediately noticed that my car was running smoother, and I haven't had any more problems with cylinder misfires... so far, it has been about 1000 miles since the Mod, and still running smooth. Anyone else having problems with cylinder misfires I urge to try a grounding mod. It only costs about $10 in materials and 1 hour of your time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.