Can't Hold My Boost???

This is a discussion on Can't Hold My Boost??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an issue when I start to get on it, my turbo (Garrett T3) will start to spool up ...

Can't Hold My Boost???

I have an issue when I start to get on it, my turbo (Garrett T3) will start to spool up just fine and about 4500 rpm to about 5500 rpm, I will get a loss of power, my pressure gauge has not dropped, but I will lose almost all power… I hear a loud air release, when I lose power, not from the BOV… If I keep my foot down on the throttle, it starts choking and will barely climb rpm’s with almost complete lost of power from the turbo…

I did just recently move and the elevation difference is about 3,600 ft higher and it’s colder… My car was tuned at approximately at 400 ft. This problem just started about a week ago…

I’ve been looking at my front mount fittings to see if there’s an air leak, and they seem good… I was wondering if my BOV is going out, would that cause this issue… I talk to guy that suggested having a smaller gap for my spark plugs, which in my opinion makes sense; it could be killing the spark…

Has anyone, ran into anything like this???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ive had the same thing happen to me with a stock turbo. but i noticed on mine it only happens in 4th or 5th gear after 4000. then other times it wont whistle but just hum like when u blow in a coke bottle.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

*bump*
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Check for leaks properly. It isn't done by just looking at the pipe. You need to be able to pressurize the system. Search "boost leak tool" You probably need a retune changing to that elevation. With out datalogging the car this could be a hopeless diagnosis. Need hard data to look at to fix quickly.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

spark...

Do you think going with a smaller gap on the spark plugs, would help... Because when keep the pedal down, the car starts choking, which makes me believe that the air could be blowing out the spark...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticRhythm View Post
    Do you think going with a smaller gap on the spark plugs, would help... Because when keep the pedal down, the car starts choking, which makes me believe that the air could be blowing out the spark...
    No.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    No.
    Agreed.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S