Buying 2005 sti

This is a discussion on Buying 2005 sti within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking at a used 2005 sti when i noticed grease on the inside of both front wheels.There didnt ...

Buying 2005 sti

I was looking at a used 2005 sti when i noticed grease on the inside of both front wheels.There didnt appear to be any cracks or holes in the boots and the dealer seemed to think it was coming from the struts.Does that sound right? I couldnt get too far underneath the car to see where it was coming from but i know its not right thats for sure.I want to know if anybody has an idea what it could be.The grease was on both wheels.Struts or bearings?:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the car?..Is any maintaince history available? There is a possibility it could be the wheel bearing seals however that is extremely unlikely, plus on an 05 they should be the bolt in style 1 piece hub and bearing . Do the axles/outer CV boots look new? I'm inclinded to think that the boots where torn and maybe they have been replaced. Do you notice any noises or anything while turning i.e...clicking sound? IMOP you should definately notice a difference between the grease/oil from the struts and the grease from the CV boot..Is this more a grease or like an oil film?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    How many miles are on the car?..Is any maintaince history available? There is a possibility it could be the wheel bearing seals however that is extremely unlikely, plus on an 05 they should be the bolt in style 1 piece hub and bearing . Do the axles/outer CV boots look new? I'm inclinded to think that the boots where torn and maybe they have been replaced. Do you notice any noises or anything while turning i.e...clicking sound? IMOP you should definately notice a difference between the grease/oil from the struts and the grease from the CV boot..Is this more a grease or like an oil film?
    It has 67,000 miles on it. This is a car on a car lot so I don't have that much access to it. I did a short test drive and it did make a strange sound in the front end when I made u-turns. Not too bad but it was something. It was definitely grease not oil. Is it hard to remove the axles and Check it out?

The axles aren't bad to remove at all..If you don't mind me asking how much are they asking for this car? I would bring it up to the salesman and ask him for a tech to look at the car fore your thinking of making a purchase....Is there any kind of warranty offered with the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    The axles aren't bad to remove at all..If you don't mind me asking how much are they asking for this car? I would bring it up to the salesman and ask him for a tech to look at the car fore your thinking of making a purchase....Is there any kind of warranty offered with the vehicle?
    They're asking 19,900 but he seems to be ok with my offer of 18,700. The car is immaculate inside and out. This seems to be one of the only problems with the car. He's also replacing the rear struts and says he has no problem with me taking it to the Subaru dealership before I buy it. What do you think?

That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me..I would definitely take it to your local Subaru Dealer before you make the purchase and have one of the techs check it over..It cant hurt..