need a lil help with my 02 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on need a lil help with my 02 wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; for the past couple days ive noticed my car starting to run hot if i sit at idle for more ...

need a lil help with my 02 wrx

for the past couple days ive noticed my car starting to run hot if i sit at idle for more than a couple minutes and was wondering if it maybe the thermostat? once i start driving again it goes straight back down to operating temperature. i checked all the fluids and topped the coolant off and its still doing it. i just figured i would ask other opinions before i start replacing anything and maybe save some money thanks btw its got 116k miles and the motor is stock except for a tbe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxyo View Post
    for the past couple days ive noticed my car starting to run hot if i sit at idle for more than a couple minutes and was wondering if it maybe the thermostat? once i start driving again it goes straight back down to operating temperature. i checked all the fluids and topped the coolant off and its still doing it. i just figured i would ask other opinions before i start replacing anything and maybe save some money thanks btw its got 116k miles and the motor is stock except for a tbe
    come on i really need some help

sounds like thermostat
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
    sounds like thermostat
    ok and is there a easy way to get to the thermostat to replace it? i know u can get to it while replacing the timeing belt but i really dont have the cash to do the timing belt right this second and was wondering if you could easily access the thermostat a different way

replacing the thermostate is pretty easy except for the fact thats its located at the motor side of the bottom radiator hose so u need to drain all ur fluid to change it. there is a drain plug at the passenger side bottom corner of the radiator u can get to it just by removing the mud guard under under the car. then take your hose clamp off the hose on the motor side and drain the rest of the fluid. open the cap on the top of your engine when your draining it. the part where the hose attached is a 90 degree metal piece that has 2-3 screws holding it on i cant remember. remove the screws and the thermostate is right there. just pull it out rplace with new one and reassemble everything and fill back up with coolant. if everything goes right u can do it in less then an hour,i hope this helped i am sure there are some threads on here with some pictures.

before you go just replacing things....are your fans cycling on and off? when they do cycle are they blowing hot air? is the radiator full? Have you had any cooling system work done recently?..As others have mentioned chances are I would start off with the thermostat..after that I would prob. be leaning towards a clogged radiator... ( the thermostat housing should be 2 10mm bolts ) located directly below the D/S timing cover... This might be of some assistance... Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

I was doing some research on it and read on how to "burp" the system so i went out to do it and when i removed the radiator cap i noticed the rubber gasket was ripped in half so i went and got another cap and burped the system and it fixed all my problems i appreciate your help thank you

lol yea i should have said that. i forgot my cap had a ripped gasket when i first got it and the system was loosing pressure and wasnt cycleing. good job with the detective work

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.