Turbo sounds a little loud?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo sounds a little loud? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Accidentally deleted my original thread (been one of those days) I tried searching but couldn't find anything that addressed this ...

Turbo sounds a little loud?

Accidentally deleted my original thread (been one of those days)

I tried searching but couldn't find anything that addressed this particular issue.

I recently bought a 2006 WRX (love it) but I am not sure just how loud the turbo is supposed to be when it's spooling. I don't believe any of the other WRXs I've seen around here are as loud as mine and if there's a problem I want to get to the bottom of it as soon as possible. Just how loud should it be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the vehicle? Are you having any current problems with the car at all? Are you hitting target boost?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    How many miles are on the vehicle? Are you having any current problems with the car at all? Are you hitting target boost?
    Just over 60k miles, car runs like a champ just makes a god awful noise.

I paid close attention and if I let it spool up kinda slow it sounds fine but if I press it it makes a pretty loud noise, I have no idea if I'm hitting target boost

I Support ClubWRX
    List any performance mods done to the car
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    List any performance mods done to the car
    None.
    It almost sounds like a loud ass cricket, I looked up wastegate flutter and I shortened the actuator arm 3 turns, it seems to happen a little later RPM now but I'm scared to shorten it more.

DUB
    Maybe the previous owner removed the intake silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Maybe the previous owner removed the intake silencer.
    Well, whatever it is it's annoying as hell. I just don't want it to be something serious. I am just out of ideas of what I can check in the driveway.

I mean as long as it's nothing bad I'm ok with it, but I do get some odd looks when it's screeching as I drive by someone.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarlan View Post
    Well, whatever it is it's annoying as hell. I just don't want it to be something serious. I am just out of ideas of what I can check in the driveway.

I mean as long as it's nothing bad I'm ok with it, but I do get some odd looks when it's screeching as I drive by someone.

Is it an out of the ordinary screech or is it a typical wistle only louder? If it's a screech, I'm afraid you have a turbo on the way out my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Is it an out of the ordinary screech or is it a typical wistle only louder? If it's a screech, I'm afraid you have a turbo on the way out my friend.
    I don't know if it's really a screech, it kind of sounds like a police whistle actually, only under hard acceleration.

I Support ClubWRX
    You may have a leak somewhere, I'd check all of your intake piping first.

You may have a leak somewhere, I'd check all of your intake piping first.
    Thank you, I will do a thorough check tomorrow when I get home from work. I hope it's not the turbo just for money's sake.

How much would a replacement turbo and install cost (estimate) or is it something I could do in my driveway? I like to think I have a general knowledge of cars, I had to replace the entire intake manifold on my mustang but this is the first turbo car I have owned.
    Last edited by Zarlan; 10-18-2009 at 09:19 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarlan View Post
    Thank you, I will do a thorough check tomorrow when I get home from work. I hope it's not the turbo just for money's sake.

How much would a replacement turbo and install cost (estimate) or is it something I could do in my driveway? I like to think I have a general knowledge of cars, I had to replace the entire intake manifold on my mustang but this is the first turbo car I have owned.
    They're really not that difficult to replace, and you can usually find low mile used ones for fairly cheap if you're doing a stock to stock replacement. A few bolts, and some lines and that's pretty much it, there are detailed how-to's on this site and others on how to do it, suggest you look at those should it come down to it. But for now I'm going to hope for a leak in either the intake or exhaust sides.

They're really not that difficult to replace, and you can usually find low mile used ones for fairly cheap if you're doing a stock to stock replacement. A few bolts, and some lines and that's pretty much it, there are detailed how-to's on this site and others on how to do it, suggest you look at those should it come down to it. But for now I'm going to hope for a leak in either the intake or exhaust sides.
    Oh that's very good news that if needs be I can get it done without selling organs on the black market!

Thank you so much for your help on this, I also will be hoping for a leak.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    like dub said it could be the silencer delete.

does it woosh when you shift? similar to a BOV but quieter?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    like dub said it could be the silencer delete.

does it woosh when you shift? similar to a BOV but quieter?
    there is a very very quiet sound of pressure being released. Would a silencer delete cause a loud whistle under more than half throttle? 60k seems kind of fast for a turbo to go... Whatever it is I don't like it. Still going to check for leaks today and hope that's what it is but any ideas you guys have I will be more than happy to look in to. (though I will probably need a good explanation of how to check lol)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.