Help With Choosing Brake Pads

This is a discussion on Help With Choosing Brake Pads within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey, I am looking to replace my brake pads, I was not happy overall with The Oem pads. Car 2008 ...

Help With Choosing Brake Pads

hey, I am looking to replace my brake pads, I was not happy overall with The Oem pads.

Car 2008 STI
    Mileage 15670
    Front pads around 3mm
    Rear pads 5 - 6 mm

a lot of dust on my wheels :-(

stopping power was good when the car was new but began to fade over time.

My application would be high performance street with monthly trips to run the 1/8 mile track, with rare trip to a road course.

pads I have been looking at

Hawk
    Axxis
    Gransport 6

I want high stopping power with less dust not so concerned with noise.

Please list what you drive and what pads you use for my comparison

all recommendations welcome

Thx guys
    Karla

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Currently driving on Axxis pads and I love them, but they are a very high dust pad, have to keep up on wheel cleaning. Braking power though is excellent and I haven't experienced any fade in any situation and I occasionally do autox.

I'll be switching over to some EBC yellowstuff pads here soon, and I hear some really good things about them. You may want to look into that. Hawk pads are universally praised around here for the most part as well.

DUB
    [brfatal]Don't get the Hawk HPS, they are the worst brake pads in the history of the universe.[/brfatal]

I Support ClubWRX
    depends on your area... cold bite is a big deal, and the hawks are well regarded here in colorado because they have great cold bite apparently.

I'm in the process of purchase Ferodo 2500's as we speak... I've always heard they're one of the best street + light track pads... I'll let you know how they are after I bed them in on the new rotors (could be a couple weeks)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    [brfatal]Don't get the Hawk HPS, they are the worst brake pads in the history of the universe.[/brfatal]
    Okay, maybe not around here, but other than this I haven't heard bad things lol

[QUOTE=cold bite is a big deal, and the hawks are well regarded here in colorado because they have great cold bite apparently.QUOTE]

I live in Miami so cold is not really Cold tbh 55 degrees is a winter low so depends what how cold of a bite your talking about but i assume it will not effect me here

I think I will try axxis or ebt yellow stuff I did have a supplier for axxis at good price but they are out of stock with no plans to restock :-(

Karla

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm in the process of purchase Ferodo 2500's as we speak... I've always heard they're one of the best street + light track pads... I'll let you know how they are after I bed them in on the new rotors (could be a couple weeks)
    Awesome pads. Kinda dusty, but I took these on 2 laps at the Dragon (22 miles, 622 turns) and they still had more to give than I could dish out. Be sure to keep your wheels relatively clean as letting it sit and cake can slowly eat at your wheels' clearcoat.
    Last edited by brfatal; 10-16-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Well AFter searching the net and looking at your reply's I found A very good deal for axxis ult pads for front and also found rear axxis ult pads on Rally Sport for 04 - 05 sti but i am assured they are the same.

2x s&h charges sucks a little but still very good deal overall hope they fit my driving style if not next time I am gonna try Yellow stuff

thx for the help

Karla

Quote Originally Posted by Karla 08 Wrx View Post
    Well AFter searching the net and looking at your reply's I found A very good deal for axxis ult pads for front and also found rear axxis ult pads on Rally Sport for 04 - 05 sti but i am assured they are the same.

2x s&h charges sucks a little but still very good deal overall hope they fit my driving style if not next time I am gonna try Yellow stuff

thx for the help

Karla
    Axxis Ultimates are good pads, but are VERY VERY dusty. IMHO for good performing w/less dust than OEM I would get:

Carbotech Bobcats
    Porterfield R4S
    Hawk HPS

Hope it is not too late, but here are a couple links to help you out (w/free shipping):

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Carbotech Front Brake Pads, STi Brembo Calipers

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Carbotech Rear Brake Pads, STi, EVO 8/9 & 350Z Brembo Calipers

Hawk HPS Brake Pads (Subaru STi) - Modern Automotive Performance
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 10-16-2009 at 10:19 PM.