help with stuttering and throttle surging

This is a discussion on help with stuttering and throttle surging within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 02 wrx is having a strange problem under acceleration. If I pull out of the drive and punch it. ...

help with stuttering and throttle surging

My 02 wrx is having a strange problem under acceleration. If I pull out of the drive and punch it. It'll accelerate close to smoothly out of first, maybe hesitate once or twice in second, stutter for a good bit in 3rd then smooth out and accelerate smoothly after 5000 rpm. then fourth and fifth gear i don't want to talk about. It's almost like it's stuttering badly at full throttle but when I ease off to about 75% throttle then it accelerates more smoothly and quickly. If I'm in 5th gear and I give it any gas to accelerate, it stutters. It's throwing a speed sensor code and an 02 sensor code but I don't know which 02 sensor and their 130 a piece. Please help me diagnose this. I'm not sure if its misfiring or if it's a boost leak because some times the boost leak would be a constant problem at any rpm at any speed and it's like the stuttering is getting worse at speed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

o2 sensor faults would be more likely to plague you with terrible fuel mileage.. this almost seems like the ecm isn't reading engine speed or crank position correctly. I'd try to narrow down what speed sensor is throwing the fault and go from there.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

What do you mean which speed sensor? I thought there was just the three wire one coming off the right side of the transmission.

I was thinking crank or cam position sensor.. but on second thought those would throw a code with matching description. What are the exact codes?

Another thought, what leads you to think it might be a boost/vac leak? Both possibilities could toss your a/f off and possibly trigger the o2 sensor fault so its quite possible. A misfire problem could also be causing a rich condition that would trigger a o2 sensor to read out of range.

Dunno, kinda pulling straws here on previous car experience.. if the problem just appeared, check all the easy stuff first. Make sure everything is still plugged in, all vac lines are in place and not cracked or hardened.. make sure all your intake connections are tight and not leaking...
    Last edited by mangostick; 10-16-2009 at 09:07 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
    My 02 wrx is having a strange problem under acceleration. If I pull out of the drive and punch it. It'll accelerate close to smoothly out of first, maybe hesitate once or twice in second, stutter for a good bit in 3rd then smooth out and accelerate smoothly after 5000 rpm. then fourth and fifth gear i don't want to talk about. It's almost like it's stuttering badly at full throttle but when I ease off to about 75% throttle then it accelerates more smoothly and quickly. If I'm in 5th gear and I give it any gas to accelerate, it stutters. It's throwing a speed sensor code and an 02 sensor code but I don't know which 02 sensor and their 130 a piece. Please help me diagnose this. I'm not sure if its misfiring or if it's a boost leak because some times the boost leak would be a constant problem at any rpm at any speed and it's like the stuttering is getting worse at speed.
    List the exact codes and all of your performance mods. The more details you provide,the better we can help you. Like,when the codes started. Has the car always had them or they just happened on day driving? That is a huge piece of information right there........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

the 02 sensor codes are p0131 p0132 and p0136. The car has no mods, I bought it five days ago and figured it was plugs. Now i realize that plugs would be causing a constant misfire and the car doesn't. I talked ot a friend and he thinks it's a vacuum line problem because I listed every single time the car would stutter and he mentioned that that 's every time the vaccum lines are under their heaviest load. Do yall have a good way to pressure test my entire intake system from the airbox to the throttle body?