Mixing tires.... oh my....

This is a discussion on Mixing tires.... oh my.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK so I just bought the car about 2 months ago. So yes I'm a newb and I've just been ...

Angry Mixing tires.... oh my....

OK so I just bought the car about 2 months ago. So yes I'm a newb and I've just been reading some threads about mixing tires.

When I bought the car, the front tires were worn to hell. But were some Yokos. There was also 1 other Yoko on the back. The previous guy told me he had a recent flat and hence there is an odd tire on the back left...

Since then to pass my inspection I had to replace the front tires. Tried to find some Yokos that matched the other one on the back, but the guy at Discount Tire couldn't even find that model any more. So I ended up getting a diferent set of Yokos. I didn't think much of it, at least the front had matching tires. (sorry i'm used to front wheel drive cars, so I my thinking is not the best...)

The back tires are not worn out. If the size of the tires match will it matter? I keep reading that this can wreck your difs. But don't tires wear at diferent rates any ways?

How can I check to see if I've done any damage?

thanks,

DorBink

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Because Subaru is full time AWD I suggest you change all 4 tires
    instead of only 2. It may damage the differential for long term, better be safe than sorry. Fixing the differential would cost more than 2 new tires... Just my 2 cents
    2002 WRBlue WRX , 2003 Blue Murano

+1^..To check if you didnt do any damage to the the Viscous Coupler ( assuming you have a 5MT): after the car is warmed up take it to an open parking lot or such and do a series of figure eights you will feel the car kind of bind and in extreme cases you can hear the rear tires drag to the side. A new Viscous coupler is in the vicinity of $500 plus install If you don't do the job yourself. In your case first thing I would do is pop out there and make sure all your tire pressures are equal. If your springing on two tires now, personally I would replace all 4. Especially if you cant get the same model tire. Look at it this way, even if you damaged your VC or not your going to want to get new tires from preventing it from happening again or preventing it from happeneing all together..These AWD systems are somewhat sensitive which means all the tires HAVE to be within 1/2" circumfrance of each other...So my recommendation to you : Purchase 4 tires, Keep up on checking your tire pressures, see if youve done damage to your VC. How many miles are on the car anyways?

THe front 2 are new tires I just put on about 2 weeks ago. I'll jack it up this weekend and measure the circumferance of all 4. The back were put on by the previous owner and they look very new... they just don't match my new front 2 tires. So the circumf is the main thing... does the weight of mis matched tires matter?

I did pull a fast 50 mph high speed turn yesterday, which really threw the car and felt no binding, or anything bad. (i was actually smiling the whole way...)

but i'll do some proper testing on the weekend, with your recommmended 8s.

I guess I might be buying some tires this weekend.... (bye bye money...)

thanks for the help!

Jesus 50mph!..Sounds Fun..LOL..anyways yeah I would never mismatch tires on these cars..just me personally...Some have been successful but I just wouldnt take the chance..yea though, make sure all tire pressures are equal and measure the circumfrance...