What is ASS on my WRX? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on What is ASS on my WRX? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 Is the Turboback mainly to open for other future mods? Because every test I've seen comparing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
    Is the Turboback mainly to open for other future mods? Because every test I've seen comparing WRX exhausts.. they yield 0 HP... which is weird as hell if you ask me. I'm not sure how an F4 engine works compared to I4 and V6's i owned previously. I know the gains are different.
    The tests you've seen are likely just Catback exhausts. Changing the cat back does little more than change the tone/loudness.
    You've got to change or elimiate the cats in the downpipe in order to make power.

Thanks man ; ). *extends hand for peace offering*
    *high five*

Edit: Damn, Dez beat me to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The transmission on the non STI WRX has a bad rep when you push over 300 wheel horse.. so honestly I'll try to stay in the high 290's-low 300's on horse and torque. You mean Cobb AP stage 2 requires catless UP and TB exhaust? Or am i reading it wrong
    Yes and yes (not really a full TB, but at least a catless/high flow cat downpipe).

Please allow yourself to get familiar with the basics:
    CobbTuning.com - 06-07 AccessPORT
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    The tests you've seen are likely just Catback exhausts. Changing the cat back does little more than change the tone/loudness.
    You've got to change or elimiate the cats in the downpipe in order to make power.

*high five*

Crap.. Basically means 500 for a used Cobb AP i saw... and 1200 for a good turbo back. So we are nearing 2k here. I guess it can be worse... My S2K i had for a short time... that high compression, highly tuned motor is pretty much un modable without FI.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post

*high five*

I also read my WRX has 3 cats??... (bangs head).

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i spent 475 for my AP & 350 for my TBE.

bargain shopping = win.

also you dont HAVE to get an accessport. you can get an opensource tune from a tuner in your area, or you can even download maps from your laptop & use a tatrix cable.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    I also read my WRX has 3 cats??... (bangs head).
    you only have 2 cats (the ones in the downpipe & midpipe)

desiree

Crap.. Basically means 500 for a used Cobb AP i saw... and 1200 for a good turbo back. So we are nearing 2k here. I guess it can be worse... My S2K i had for a short time... that high compression, highly tuned motor is pretty much un modable without FI.
    Meh... $500 for AP is ok, but $1200 for a piece of metal pipe that lets some dirty exhaust out of your engine? That's an overkill. To start with you can go with an ebay downpipe for ~$120. I got one, and it's awesome. There are a lot of folks who dig the ebay exhaust.

To save on AP you could go Open Source way of tunning. But that requires more knowledge and experience with Subarus, and gives less margin to screw up.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    Meh... $500 for AP is ok, but $1200 for a piece of metal pipe that lets some dirty exhaust out of your engine? That's an overkill. To start with you can go with an ebay downpipe for ~$120. I got one, and it's awesome. There are a lot of folks who dig the ebay exhaust.

To save on AP you could go Open Source way of tunning. But that requires more knowledge and experience with Subarus, and gives less margin to screw up.
    Only one guy in town can tune it. He's basically working on the side helping people build cars and working at a dealership.. because the market here for racing shops is very very poor so he lost his shop. He said he would set up Cobb for me. What price range is the open tuning? Also even if i did manage to get a downpipe for like 120.. i know for sure a solid catback.. won't be less than 600 bucks. Unless any of you guys have some lying around that you don't use anymore ;p. Or do you mean also get the EBAY knock off exhausts lol? Like that guy selling an "N1" for 120 bucks. Wanna be Apexi/Invidia.

I Support ClubWRX
    my ebay exhaust was 350 for everything. look up ERZ racing or SR*S. those are the only 2 companies i'd trust.

opensource really varies in price. guys over here usually charge about 200-300 for the tune, & 60 or so for dyno pulls.

internet tunes are about 70-80 bucks & a tatrix cable is around 130 IIRC.

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    my ebay exhaust was 350 for everything. look up ERZ racing or SR*S. those are the only 2 companies i'd trust.

opensource really varies in price. guys over here usually charge about 200-300 for the tune, & 60 or so for dyno pulls.

internet tunes are about 70-80 bucks & a tatrix cable is around 130 IIRC.
    for the 350$ TBE does it sound really nice as well? I may just go for used Cobb AP for 400-500 if the difference is only 100 bucks for open tune. Cobb offers a lot. I read the link you guys showed and love the features. Like it can measure your 0-60 and quarter mile anytime.... pretty sweet. This ERZ Turboback is only 199 ;o. Not bad at all. If only i could return this damn 199 dollar SRT4 wastegate i got as a gift and get the TBE
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 10-16-2009 at 09:15 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    i like the way mine sounds except it gets kind of annoying on the highway but.. i'd imagine any loud subie exhaust will do that.

here is my dyno video. you can hear the exhaust more towards the end.. there is a lot of background noise but you get the general idea

YouTube - WRX Stage II Dyno

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i like the way mine sounds except it gets kind of annoying on the highway but.. i'd imagine any loud subie exhaust will do that.

here is my dyno video. you can hear the exhaust more towards the end.. there is a lot of background noise but you get the general idea

YouTube - WRX Stage II Dyno
    Loud is fine. I just like it to stay a deep rumble. Nice Rex. Is Dark Gray a common color? It's what i have and i think it's SO sexy.. I'll post pics soon. I've only seen blues,Silver, whites and blacks really. Night guys... I just got off a graveyard shift and need sleep. Thanks for all the useful info. I really hope this car works out.. at 64k miles.. I'm sure as long as i don't beat it, it will last a long time.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 10-16-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234