General problem pro clutch going

This is a discussion on General problem pro clutch going within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I had my car recently tuned over at AMS down in Illinois and my car is now sitting on ...

General problem pro clutch going

So I had my car recently tuned over at AMS down in Illinois and my car is now sitting on 22lbs of boost =] It has ran great ever since that tune and still runs well (after a warm engine now.)

Now, however, when I start up my car I can go into reverse back up great but when my car does the initial start in first I will have a problem hooking up and the car feels like it will almost stall out (but it doesn't).

After a bit of driving and a warm engine it seems to hook up a hell of a lot easier and I don't normally have problems after that but I still notice the point of the engine hooking up is alot different from when I first swapped the clutch out for a new one awhile back.(I'll be honest it's my first manual car and I do do a few heavy launches here and there)

So, is my analysis of the clutch going most likely correct and if so; I have three questions, if you can answer any at all I appreciate it.

1. Should I go with the Exedy stage 2 clutch or the stock sti clutch again like I did the last time?
    2. Would a Exedy stage 2 clutch mess with my current tune on the vehicle? &
    3. Would a Exedy stage 2 clutch be able to be handled by my stock tranny?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Edit: making 325 at wheels if you need to know that

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump before bed

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To address the issue of "hooking up" are you talking where the clutch actually engages on the pedal travel, or are you talking about fluidity of the engine running and capability to propel you forward in first gear? It sounds like a cold bogging issue, when the engine is cold, it's not running it's strongest, ever. It's NOT a good idea to work your engine very hard at all until it warms up, bogging while cold, is a common thing with all newer engines.

As for your clutch, I would stick with a stock (or near stock) clutch until you absolutely need it, upgrading clutch grab power is just asking for transmission issues in the future. Doubly so for WRX trannys.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    To address the issue of "hooking up" are you talking where the clutch actually engages on the pedal travel, or are you talking about fluidity of the engine running and capability to propel you forward in first gear? It sounds like a cold bogging issue, when the engine is cold, it's not running it's strongest, ever. It's NOT a good idea to work your engine very hard at all until it warms up, bogging while cold, is a common thing with all newer engines.

As for your clutch, I would stick with a stock (or near stock) clutch until you absolutely need it, upgrading clutch grab power is just asking for transmission issues in the future. Doubly so for WRX trannys.
    Hoooking up I'm meaning when clutch actually engages the flywheel in first.

It could be a bogging issue. But, there seems to be some stumble off in first and second for a bit until warmed up. I'm not beating the engine at all just gradually excelerating and this will happen.

Also, I used to be able to come out of a 10mph-ish turn with a bit of speed in second gear and now doing so is almost impossible but it happens.

But, do you think that a stage 2 clutch would be to much for the sti tranny?
    Last edited by Dim3s; 10-15-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Edit: Double post
    Last edited by Dim3s; 10-15-2009 at 06:50 PM.

bump