Intake manifold runner position sensor

This is a discussion on Intake manifold runner position sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, so does anyone know what the Intake manifold runner position sensor does? my wrx threw this code, and it ...

Intake manifold runner position sensor

ok, so does anyone know what the Intake manifold runner position sensor does? my wrx threw this code, and it wont start. It gets spark to only two of the coils on the driver side but not on the passenger side. I was wondering could the Intake manifold runner position sensor make this happen? also could a ground wire make it not work if disconnected. Im not sure where all the ground wires go and I can't find any info on the web so any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That sensor is a TGV sensor. You need to post more details. Were you doing something to/working on the car and this happened? Or were you just driving around and got this code?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I boght this car not in running condition with 5955 miles on it hoping it was something stupid and easy to fix. I had my girlfriends dad come by with a diagnostic scanner and only one code came up p2021.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I have seen posting on some of the other forums. Don't ever buy a car from an auction or a modded car unless you have good automotive mechanical troubleshhoting skills or have deep pockets. Working on OBDII cars will lead you to pull your hair out. Not to mention a car from an auction could have a million things wrong with it. I would learn to use a multimeter ASAP. Trying to diagnose this type of problem over the internet with someone not familiar with these cars or OBD II systems will be extremely hard unfortunately. It's a million times easier, if your the one diagnosing,to see the car in person. A stuck TGV should not be cutting spark I don't think. It should allow the car to go into limp mode. You need to check the wiring harness for damage. How do you know the other side is getting spark? The easy thing to do would be to change the sensor and see what happens. Pm me if you want a used one cheap. I have about 6-8 of them from doing TGV deletes.
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-15-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yeah I had a friend come over with a multimeter and the wires are getting power but not sending it the the coils. I checked the coils by putting a spark plug in it and grounding and had some one turn it over the driver side got spark and the passenger side didn't. I thought it could just be the coils so I put them on the other side to check them with the side that was working and all the coils work. how much do the tgv's cost? and can I just order them at a auto parts place or do I have to go to the dealership?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by william07 View Post
    how much do the tgv's cost? and can I just order them at a auto parts place or do I have to go to the dealership?
    Why would you buy a whole new TGV? The TGV is the lower part of the manifold. You just need a new sensor. There is 1 position sensor and 1 motor on each TGV (tumble generator valve). 2 TGV's per engine. Not sure if you meant something different by your question.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

oops I just ment the sensor