Troubleshooting: check engine, cruise control, traction control lights

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting: check engine, cruise control, traction control lights within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A few months ago I finally purchessed my dream car. Ive wanted a WRX since they were first released. My ...

Exclamation Troubleshooting: check engine, cruise control, traction control lights

A few months ago I finally purchessed my dream car. Ive wanted a WRX since they were first released.

My problem is my check engine and traction control lights are on and my cruise control light is blinking. The car is bone stock although I purchased it used and found out that the previous owner may have had some kind of cold air intake on it but currently it has the stock airbox etc.

I think it may have something to do with the air sensor located on the airbox itself. When I bought the car I checked the air filter that was dirty and full of debris. I went out and bought a K&N airfilter to replace it and when I did the lights came on. I started to freak out but after needing to drive it to work it seemed to drive fine with no problems. After the car sat for 12 hours (my whole shift), I got into it, started her up and mysteriously the lights were off.

This continued until today (about 2 months) when the weather dropped 30 degrees and it started to rain. When I hopped in, to go to work I let it run for about 2-3 mins to warm it up (as I always do) and drove to work. When I got in it again later in the day the lights came back on .

My thought is that when the previous owner put on his cold air intake, or put it back on when he traded in the car, he must have somehow damaged it. Ive looked around and other people with Subarus had similar problems and when they took their cars to the dealerhips they could not pin point the problem and some of them replaced things like the the o2 sensor. Problem being most of them all had the problem come back to haunt them. Ive also read that resetting the ecu or re-flashing it didnít fix the problem either.

Anyone have the same problem or some insight on this?

Also since I bought the vehicle the idle is a little funky and it runs a bit rough (not too bad, but enough to mention) that normal?
    Last edited by boldx85; 10-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Personally, first I would be replacing the the K&N with a stock air filter and I would also clean the MAF sensor ..Are there any other mods on the car? How many miles are on the car? The traction control and cruise control lights are on because when the ECM sets the CEL it disables the cruise control and traction control. The next time the light comes on I would try to get to a location where the code can be read or if you have a scanner, pull the code, that would be the most helpful....

there currently no mods to the car, and it has 22k on it.

Strange part about it is the car runs the same with or without the MAF plugged in.

thanks for the info on the cc and tc, i was a little worried they were separate issue. I donít have a scanner but I think autozone will do it for me, Iíll try taking it there to check it out.

Yeah give autozone a whirl..Not to sure what type of scanner they use..I know on some on the later model Subarus certain generic scanners wont work..Ive tried many of them..only to revert back to the Selectmonitor..