I need brakes, calipers, tires, and new belts..can I do this myself?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I need brakes, calipers, tires, and new belts..can I do this myself? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need two new tires in the back of my car, new brakes in the back, new rotors, (Or to ...

I need brakes, calipers, tires, and new belts..can I do this myself?

I need two new tires in the back of my car, new brakes in the back, new rotors, (Or to get them resurfaced), a new ac belt..or something else...I forget what belt it is not a fan belt and not a timing belt. Can i do these things myself and save some cash? I know I cant do the tires, but I hear brakes are easy....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year/ model is the vehicle? How many miles? FIRST let me say this..all your tires need to be within around 1/2 inch of each other otherwise you run the risk of damaging your viscous coupler/transfer clutches (5MT/4EAT)..If the other two tires are above say 8/32 Than I would prob say your fine just replacing two tires as long as there the same make/model/size tire ( at least this is the system I use)...Do not mix and match tires on these cars..If the other two tires are below 8/32 I personally would prob replace all 4. Of course measuring the circumfrance is the only 100% way to be sure your "center diff" is safe. What is wrong with your rear two tires?nn Do you have a tire machine/balancer?

Yes the belts on pretty much all modern Subarus are cake..Im assuming you have an 02 model year according to your username...Who told you you need these things? I would def. inspect these things again just to make sure..On the drive belts look for cracks or wear/damage..To replace the belts on these cars it takes a 10mm socket, 12mm socket, ratchet, extension, and a 12mm wrench ( a long reach zero offset helps for the AC idler pulley nut)...

As for the brakes inspect them to see if there worn down..I typically like to recommend them if there around 20% life left on the pads..If your planning on replacing the front pads and rotors that is also an extremely easy job ..the caliper bracket bolts are 17mm and the the caliper bolt is a 14mm....

I'm not sure of your resouces here or your mechanical apptitude.. If you would like step by step instructions on replacing the brakes and belts take a look here.. Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com
    ( of course I say how easy it is fore every job I do I have the use of air tools)..

lavid2002

lavid2002 is just my thing for email I made it a while ago so I stuck with it. I have a 2005 WRX. A mechanic told me they were/are dry rotted. I can see the rear tires are old, and that the front tires are new. Should I just order 2 tires the same make/model as the fronts? Ill make a video showing you the belt and the tires....ill do it tomorrow.

I would measure the tires with a tread depth gauge if you can... Yeah a video would do some good..thanks man..
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 10-13-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Any time brotha, thank YOU for all the help. I have class tom. and when I get out ill make the vid. in the afternoon : )

Quick questions though....here is what im going to do...video tape the belts, and check for dry rot....video tape me chaching thread depth with a caliper, take the bolts on the wheels off and take a wheel off. Take the brake apart and show the camera the pads to check and see if I need new ones. And video tape the rotor and see if I need new ones :P
    Sound legit?
    Last edited by Lavid2002; 10-12-2009 at 05:41 PM.

Heres the video...this mechanic lied to me. These rear calipers look fine, and I KNOW these rear brakes are still good, look at em! Can you tell me where the belts are so I can check em out? Im pretty mad that this guy lied to me like that....

Im not the best movie maker...YouTube - For wrxforum.net

ttt

Hey dude..by the looks of your video as long as you get the same exact size and brand of tire ( the Dunlop GT Qualifiers ) i have a feeling you should be fine with 2 tires....As I mentioned If you can jack up the car and measure the circumference of the tires that is the only way to 100% be sure..by the looks though you should be ok with getting 2..if you do get 2 put the new ones (tires) in the front.. As for your brake pads they look like they have about 50% life left..they are fine for now as long as your not noticing any grinding or anything....As for your belts..the belts you where viewing in your video the one we saw is your AC belt..easy as pie to replace..the one to the left of it which drives your alternator and Power steering pump is your other belt..also cake to replace...The timing belt is under that plastic cover behind your drive belts... To change your drive belts all you need is a 12mm socket a 10mm socket a ratchet, an extension, and a 12mm wrench. They can be done in around a half hour even by a novice... Personally I would only be getting drive belts from the dealer..the price difference is nominal if at all and your ensured to get the correct length ( many many people including myself have run into problems with aftermarket drive belts on there Subarus) Those belt prices are high i think because we charge around 18$ per each drive belt..and I'm at a dealership...

AH and love the song in the video..Encore my man..good stuff..
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 10-13-2009 at 05:54 PM.

lol yeah I like LP and that remix is bangin 2.....ummmm ok so I should swing by the dealership and get those 2 belts? I need some touch up paint too so Ill pick that up when im down there...Ill get those 2 belts, touch up paint, and ill have the 2 tires put on the back, and when I get home ill rotate the tires myself : D

Sound legit?

Also...how do I replace the belts? take one of the wheels off, slide off the old belt, put the new one on and put the wheel back on?

Sounds legit to me.. Like I said I would def go to the dealer, its ensured there the correct part and they will fit as there supposed to...Yes after the 2 new tires are installed ( the Dunlop GT qualifiers) I would be putting them in the front fore that is where the most wear occurs due to the steering system...The belts are very easy. Umm hmmm..let me see the best way to describe it..well you know those covers you had off..remove them again first.. http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/3%20...C%20ENGINE.PDF
    there we go..I dont think i can explain it better than the factory service manual..lol..If you have any questions about it post um up... oh..Where are you located anyways?

Im in southern NJ right outside of atlantic city

Thanks for the link...looks like I need to go get myself one of those wrenches that is adjustable for ft/lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lavid2002 View Post
    Im in southern NJ right outside of atlantic city

Thanks for the link...looks like I need to go get myself one of those wrenches that is adjustable for ft/lbs
    Ah I see just curious im right outside of philadelphia...ah a torque wrench..no you dont really need one of those..just make sure all the bolts are pretty snug and you will be fine..

I just called for tire quotes and all these guys are buggin me out saying I need to replace tires in sets of 4, bah....Can I sell my 2 dunlops up front? They told me these are only a class T tire. Think I should do all 4 of em....?

You dont HAVE to do anything..lol..except pay taxes and die...LOL...If you have the extra coin definately replace all 4 tires than you dont have to worry about the tread depth difference and the chance of damaging the viscous coupler (assuming this is a 5MT)...you could always tell the shop to keep the 2 good dunlops for you and you could sell them on craigslist or something...

lmao i already posted em up for sale :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast