Can I remove my dump valve? Whineing alternator
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Can I remove my dump valve? Whineing alternator within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive just picked up a 99 impreza turbo, had engine change, turbo, clutch and flywheel 30k ago, so all should ...

Question Can I remove my dump valve? Whineing alternator

Ive just picked up a 99 impreza turbo, had engine change, turbo, clutch and flywheel 30k ago, so all should be ok but.. its got a dump valve on it that whooshs's and sucks like you wouldnt beleive lol.. just not really my thang, is it easy to wip out, do i need to replace it with anything, or just reconnect pipes, also, i have a whineing alternator motor, or so it seems, i sprayed with wd40 the belt that the alternator runs and the whineing stops, its not the sort of squeel you get when your belt slips , but a permanent whine , unless i spray with wd40 Does this confirm that the belt has infact perished, or stretched ? or does it point to the alternator being duff.. i hope i can replace either simply, i found a youtube video showing wrx belt change, seems helpfull..
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't ever spray the alternator with anything.

Most autoparts stores can check your alternator (I just replaced one on friday and had it checked for free).

If it's the stock belt, replace it. Do you know how old the belt is?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    if you replace the "dump valve" with a stock one, you'll be fine. I agree, they sound like a kid drives it.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Don't ever spray the alternator with anything.

Most autoparts stores can check your alternator (I just replaced one on friday and had it checked for free).

If it's the stock belt, replace it. Do you know how old the belt is?
    I dont know how old the belt is at all, will it show signs of wear if its due a change, or if its causing the whineing ??
    I didnt spray the alternator, jus tthe belt and that stopped the whinning.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by moss View Post
    I dont know how old the belt is at all, will it show signs of wear if its due a change, or if its causing the whineing ??
    I didnt spray the alternator, jus tthe belt and that stopped the whinning.
    The belt will show cracking, etc. It's one of those things that you would rather replace the belt than have it fail. If it breaks it will ruin a lot of stuff. At that speed, under tension, the belt can cause some damage as it gets thrown about your engine bay!

RallySportDirect.com - Power Enterprise WRX/STi Accessory Belt

And they're cheap and easy to replace. I'd do it either way if I were you.

Btw, WD-40 can cause major problems because it's a water repellent but not a dust repellent, and it also is a corrosive solvent. It can attract dust and dirt, etc to places where they shouldn't be, and it can displace other lubricants, it can accelerate oxidation, and it can loosen the torque of nuts/bolts that it contacts. I don't use WD-40 on anything under the hood.

(read this)

WD-40 all ovr the engine?? - Car Care Forum
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

if you replace the "dump valve" with a stock one, you'll be fine. I agree, they sound like a kid drives it.
    what would a stock one be called, im trying to track one down either on ebay, or perhaps ask someone on here if they have one for sale ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by moss View Post
    what would a stock one be called, im trying to track one down either on ebay, or perhaps ask someone on here if they have one for sale ?
    Recirculating Bypass Valve

RBV

Stock Blow Off Valve

etc...
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Recirculating Bypass Valve

RBV

Stock Blow Off Valve

etc...
    is this the kiddy, he says its off a 1995 model, but will fit 1992 - 2001

SUBARU IMPREZA STANDARD DUMP VALVE MY 1992-2001 on eBay (end time 21-Oct-09 21:16:12 BST)

I Support ClubWRX
    I honestly don't know. In america we got the WRX in 02, and I know the 02-07wrx like the back of my hand... and the 08+ pretty well... but 01 and earlier is foreign language to me. They use the same basics, similar engines, etc, but a lot of parts looked a little different, etc.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.