Just bought an 04 WRX and the trottle sticks. Linkage or DBW?

This is a discussion on Just bought an 04 WRX and the trottle sticks. Linkage or DBW? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought an 04 WRX. Before buying it I was aware of the issue it has. After going WOT ...

Just bought an 04 WRX and the trottle sticks. Linkage or DBW?

I just bought an 04 WRX. Before buying it I was aware of the issue it has. After going WOT for a few seconds, the throttle seems to stay partially open even with the gas completely released. If you clutch in or put the car in neutral, the RPMs will go up at a rate of about 500RPM per second until redline. The only thing that stops the issue is if you rev then engine a few times. To me this sounds like the throttle (not the gas pedal) is sticking, and revving the engine is the only thing that un-sticks it.

What I'd like to know is if the WRX uses a mechanical throttle linkage or if it's a drive by wire throttle. If it's linkage, then it would make sense that it's simply sticking and may just need some WD40 or a break in. If it's DBW, it would seem I need an ECU re-flash.

I should mention that the car hasn't been driven in a while with the exception of my test drives so if it's a mechanical throttle link then it might make sense that it just needs to be broken in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All USDM Subarus 05-present uses throttle by wire..so yours is cable actuated..I would try lubricating the throttle cable and cleaning the throttle body..I have seen this problem before caused by a carboned up throttle plate...Is the CEL on at all? How many miles are on the vehicle?

What's CEL and the car has almost 79k on it. Would WD40 suffice if that's the problem or do I need to do something more?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    CEL = Check Engine Light.

Go buy some throttle body cleaner from your autoparts dealer (NOT CARB CLEANER!), take off your intercooler, and clean up the throttle plate and its attachments. Try not to spray to liberally, just enough to coat what you're cleaning so you can wipe it off.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    All USDM Subarus 05-present uses throttle by wire..so yours is cable actuated..
    Not quite.

2.0l motors are cable.

2.5l motors are DBW.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I fixed it. It was the simplest of fixed. I went under the hood and looked around carefully around the throttle linkage. There's a rubber nub that's supposed to be over the metal 'stuff' (for lack of a technical term) at the end of the cable running from the linkage. The nub had come off the end of the metal thing and was freely moving around along the bit of cable that runs from the linkage to the main cable (which is covered in rubber). That nub was apparently becoming wedged somehow when I go WOT. I put it back on the metal thing and it solved the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Not quite.

2.0l motors are cable.

2.5l motors are DBW.
    My apologizes..There is one motor for one year that is out of the bracket I specified... Granted the way I look at things If you cant tell if your car is throttle by wire or cable by looking at it than you really shouldnt be under the hood of your car..no offense to OP...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 10-09-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kempobmx1 View Post
    I fixed it. It was the simplest of fixed. I went under the hood and looked around carefully around the throttle linkage. There's a rubber nub that's supposed to be over the metal 'stuff' (for lack of a technical term) at the end of the cable running from the linkage. The nub had come off the end of the metal thing and was freely moving around along the bit of cable that runs from the linkage to the main cable (which is covered in rubber). That nub was apparently becoming wedged somehow when I go WOT. I put it back on the metal thing and it solved the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Another suggestion while we are talking about the throttle linkage. Check the tension on the passenger side throttle cable that goes to the cruise control module. If it's tight, almost to the point of not bending under moderate pressure, then keep that in mind in case you experience issues with high idle (1500-4000) during hot weather driving conditions. You don't have to fix it now, since it's not broken, but just letting you know. I went through a lot of hassle to figure that out when it happened to me.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube