Engine Rebuild Advice.......

This is a discussion on Engine Rebuild Advice....... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Long Story.... Short.... Connecting Rod Spun a bearing in my 04 wrx. Engine is pulled out. Overwhelmed with what i ...

Engine Rebuild Advice.......

Long Story.... Short.... Connecting Rod Spun a bearing in my 04 wrx. Engine is pulled out. Overwhelmed with what i could replace. Engine has 60k miles. Want a engine that can support 300+ whp. Any advice to will be helpful. Just to let u know what i'm thinking is Better connecting rods-pistions- and bearings. Check the top end if good put it back on. As far as timing better belt new tensionor, Better guide, new water and oil pump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by codwrx View Post
    Long Story.... Short.... Connecting Rod Spun a bearing in my 04 wrx. Engine is pulled out. Overwhelmed with what i could replace. Engine has 60k miles. Want a engine that can support 300+ whp. Any advice to will be helpful. Just to let u know what i'm thinking is Better connecting rods-pistions- and bearings. Check the top end if good put it back on. As far as timing better belt new tensionor, Better guide, new water and oil pump.
    If money allows for it a 08-10 JDM 2.0L STi motor would sure be the sweetness.
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

Quote Originally Posted by Fly'n Brian View Post
    If money allows for it a 08-10 JDM 2.0L STi motor would sure be the sweetness.
    +1

are you looking to replace the motor or rebuild?
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

DUB
    It sounds to me like the OP plans on re-using the current motor and wants to know which internals are worthwhile to replace while it's torn apart.

CP pistons and eagle rods. Cosworth or ACL bearings. I call this my "Stage 1" motor and its usually good for up to 450+ on a 2.0 and 550+ on a 2.5L.

The key is getting the right builder.

Are you looking at replacing the shortblock/longblock? If your planning on replacing the entire longblock Personally I would be building the hell out of it ( the way I look at it do it once and do it right...) I can give you my opinion on my engine, I am extremely happy thus far with my built EJ25 hybrid. However the block wasnt sleeved so Im kind of skeptical to push it past like 35 PSI...

Thanks to all replies thus far. Little update to my oringal post. Engine is pulled out. Just ordered a rebuilt short block from outfront motors. Stock Crank ACL bearings Hanley forged Pistion and rods. New oil pump, oil cooler, belt and gaskets. Another website i have all sorts of stuff in shopping cart going to fine tune and place order on monday.Gates timing belt, tomei guide, exedy stage one clutch, all new timing and tension bearings, Sti intercooler, fp 16hta turbo, 650cc injector, OEM headbolts and been talking with PDX for tune, and some other stuff. Wondering what about my clutch choice from peeps. Will a oem one hold up to my added power. Is stage 1 clutch going to a gerande in my transmission. Any thoughts thus far?

Head work? 60k miles on it. Wanta do my beloved subbie justice. Let a rebuilder sujest the condition of heads u think and go from there?

the clutch and most likely gears will have to be replaced with the build you are doing. it also depends on how you drive and what you are planning to ultimately build for...
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

Clutch will be exedy stage 1 organic. I can't see how a stock will be a good choice with my added power. I hear stock tranny = stock clutch all the time. Question is Will a stock clutch hold 300 whp. Plan is never to do hard launches if tranny brakes will install the ra gearset. Will waiting on my tranny to break be bad? Will more then the transmission break? Again thx for all the replies thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by codwrx View Post
    Clutch will be exedy stage 1 organic. I can't see how a stock will be a good choice with my added power. I hear stock tranny = stock clutch all the time. Question is Will a stock clutch hold 300 whp. Plan is never to do hard launches if tranny brakes will install the ra gearset. Will waiting on my tranny to break be bad? Will more then the transmission break? Again thx for all the replies thus far.
    I can say this..I have the stock clutch in my 02 WRX and it can hold enough power/tq to break the transmission..I recently stripped 2nd gear clean...granted my motor is currently pushing 500+ HP (417 AWHP)...

Like to know more what u did to fix your tranny?

I just installed a good used unit (70k miles $500)..I dont have the extra thousands to throw at a dogbox which id like at the moment..lol..needless to say I have yet to give it full throttle in 1st or 2nd since I installed the 2nd trans..lol