CEL on, VDC light on, cruise light flashing
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on CEL on, VDC light on, cruise light flashing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 09 wrx has about 19,000 miles on it and runs like a top. However, when I started the car ...

CEL on, VDC light on, cruise light flashing

My 09 wrx has about 19,000 miles on it and runs like a top. However, when I started the car today, pulled out of the garage, and got maybe a mile down the road I noticed that the check engine light came on and stayed on. In addition, the VDC disabled light came on (i.e. the one with the yellow car and curvy tire marks with a slash through it) and the green cruise control light was flashing on and off.

Looking at the manual, seems there could be an issue with the vehicle dynamics control system, and that my cruise control is disabled (something which you can do at startup evidently, though I went through the procedure to ensure I didn't disable it and the problem remained).

Of course I'm going to baby it until I get it into the dealer, probably tomorrow. I called the dealer, and they said if it drives ok, probably ok to drive, but should take it in ASAP (duh).

Has anyone seen that particular problem? CEL stays light, so does the VDC disabled light, and green cruise light is flashing green.

I'll post back more info after the dealer has a look.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by black09wrx View Post
    My 09 wrx has about 19,000 miles on it and runs like a top. However, when I started the car today, pulled out of the garage, and got maybe a mile down the road I noticed that the check engine light came on and stayed on. In addition, the VDC disabled light came on (i.e. the one with the yellow car and curvy tire marks with a slash through it) and the green cruise control light was flashing on and off.

Looking at the manual, seems there could be an issue with the vehicle dynamics control system, and that my cruise control is disabled (something which you can do at startup evidently, though I went through the procedure to ensure I didn't disable it and the problem remained).

Of course I'm going to baby it until I get it into the dealer, probably tomorrow. I called the dealer, and they said if it drives ok, probably ok to drive, but should take it in ASAP (duh).

Has anyone seen that particular problem? CEL stays light, so does the VDC disabled light, and green cruise light is flashing green.

Your car went into limp mode. Definitely have the dealer sort it out.

Moving this to troubleshooting so you know & welcome to the club.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

When the CEL comes on it disables the cruise control and VDC. A shot from the hip here is your gas cap is loose. maybe an EVAP code stored in the ECM.. Either way yes the dealer should be able to sort it out...let us know what they find...

Just got back from the dealership--was a blown 02 sensor.

They had to order a new one (they don't get this problem very often, so didn't have one in stock). Mechanic says I should have no problems between now and when they install the replacement (aside from having to look at the CEL and those other two lights for the next few days). The car still runs like a top, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'll post back once the new sensor is in place to confirm that solved the problem. I'm having them install the SPT boost gauge at the same time, and will share my feelings on it as well.

Thanks for the replies,

-Rick

Back from the dealership with new rear 02 sensor--all CEL lights have cleared, cruise control works again, and no VDC disabled light. Car still runs like a top.

SPT boost gauge was also installed--will have more to say on that when I find the SPT boost gauge thread, but for now let me say it seems to work well. It doesn't bounce around nearly as bad as some have mentioned, lights up when the car is on regardless of if the headlights are on or not, rests at 0 PSI and goes dark when the engine is off.

I should add that although the instructions would have the gauge installed on top of the gauge cluster shrowd (spelling?), I felt that would stick out for all nearby drivers to see and wanted something a little more low profile. As a result, I had the mechanic install the gauge on my steering column, which worked out great (I will post pics after taking some).

In order to install on the steering column he had to cut a small portion of the gauge pod base (since it was too long), and adjust it after installing so as ensure the steering wheel didn't hit the gauge when turning.

The only problem with this mounting position is I can no longer read my odometer without looking around the gauge to one side or the other--but I could care less about that, and have no problem looking around it.

The advantages are a lower profile installation, and I can easily read both the boost gauge and tachometer at the same time (since the gauge is directly in front of the tach, but is small enough that I can read both from where I sit).

Anyway, the new 02 sensor fixed my CELs and the new gauge looks and works great.

Man I love this car :-)

I Support ClubWRX

While going home this morning, I ended up getting a severe jerk while going uphill, and guess what? Same exact set of lights... *sigh* Im gonna call them in the morning. hope its the same thing.
    2011 Black STI Sedan "Shadow"
    RIP Colin McRae
    http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p418/kazevelara/
    Stink-Eye Mob #43
    "Trust in The Armin"

I hope its just an 02 sensor, though I'm not sure why that would cause a jerk (perhaps the blown sensor caused the ECU to suddenly rob you of power?)

I forgot to add in my followup post that my gas mileage dropped from 25 MPG to more like 18-19 MPG while the CEL, VDC disabled, and flashing cruise lights were on. With the replacement 02 sensor my gas mileage is back to ~ 25 MPG.

I do mostly open highway driving with little traffic, so my gas mileage is decent (even when I drive "spiritedly" :-)

Hope a new sensor fixes your problem. It should be covered under warranty (mine was).

Let us know what the dealer says.

I Support ClubWRX
    I hope its just an 02 sensor, though I'm not sure why that would cause a jerk (perhaps the blown sensor caused the ECU to suddenly rob you of power?)

I forgot to add in my followup post that my gas mileage dropped from 25 MPG to more like 18-19 MPG while the CEL, VDC disabled, and flashing cruise lights were on. With the replacement 02 sensor my gas mileage is back to ~ 25 MPG.

I do mostly open highway driving with little traffic, so my gas mileage is decent (even when I drive "spiritedly" :-)

Hope a new sensor fixes your problem. It should be covered under warranty (mine was).

Let us know what the dealer says.
    Well I will know on friday, I figure the jerk was the sensor detecting and the systems disabling, because nothing happened after that. If theres any change i'll let ya know..

Also the mpg drop is something i'll keep an eye on.

Edit: I just read something else, It may be an overboost issue.. mabey because of the cold. Ima pull the codes and reset it and see what happens.
    Last edited by KazeVelara; 10-19-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    2011 Black STI Sedan "Shadow"
    RIP Colin McRae
    http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p418/kazevelara/
    Stink-Eye Mob #43
    "Trust in The Armin"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.