Starter Ignition problem (2002 Model)

This is a discussion on Starter Ignition problem (2002 Model) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, Very new to the whole WRX thing! 2002 Bugeyes WRX Automatic (don't ask) Standard engine immobiliser and alarm ...

Starter Ignition problem (2002 Model)

Hi guys,

Very new to the whole WRX thing!

2002 Bugeyes WRX
    Automatic (don't ask)
    Standard engine immobiliser and alarm

The key turns to pre-ignition/on (where a buzzing sound becomes very loud in the engine bay somewhere), then I try to enter the code into the alarm keypad and all it shows is a blank/no lights display. When I test it by trying to start the engine by turning the key further, there comes a persistent and very loud clicking sound with the dash lights going crazy.

When I take the key out and everything is off, the alarm keypad displays the number 1 lit up.

Any ideas?
    It could be dead simple but as I said before...I'm a real beginner.

Cheers ahead of time

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this an aftermarket alarm? I thought only the 04+ STI's and 06+ WRX's got the immobilizer option from the factory. Try removing the negative battery cable and hold down the brake pedal for 1 min. Hook eveything back up and try again. Also it could be your battery is taking a dump. Check its voltage and load test it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Dead battery