02 wrx overheating

This is a discussion on 02 wrx overheating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Problem: overheating at low speeds. Fine at highway speed. Coolant was out in the driverside resivor. Heard there was another ...

02 wrx overheating

Problem: overheating at low speeds. Fine at highway speed. Coolant was out in the driverside resivor. Heard there was another fill area but didn't see it. Added Coolant to said resivor but didn't go down while running. Checked hoses while at abouve temp. Lower radiator hose was cold. Upper HOT. Guessing that it is either Water pump, Radiator, or Thermostadt. There is no radiator cap that I can see. Cant see flow or feel through hoses. No leaks on ground but coolant sprayed at front of engine bay(while driving). If anyone has ideas please respond. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The only cap is on the upper tank on the manifold on the bigeyes unless you change the radiator. If the coolant isn't moving then it probably is the thermostat. You will have to pull it to test it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I guess you are probably right. It has heat at highway speed but not at idle or city driving,(overheating) times. Is thermostadt located at water pump or seperate? If together probably replace both. 150,000 miles and it is original. thanks for the help.

Is your radiator cracked by chance? Do your fans turn on at all? Run the test mode to see. I was having the same issues and it turned out to be one of the fans being unplugged. I was in downtown Phoenix and it was 114 with no A/C because of that issue.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

both fans work. when running no leaks. thinking either no flow due to radiator (gunked up), water pump, but geussing thermostadt. seems like it shoud be before or right after the radiator since there is heat at high speed.

Anyone know how radiator is designed. I heard that there were upper and lower chambers. Upper side is hot lower is cool. Could be obstruction? Not sure on this design.

Just want to thank the members on this forum. I have been on a lot of car forums mostly Z cars(hence the name). This is was a Q for the GF car. Thank you for all the help.

Just wanted to let people know that it was a cracked radiator. Thanks for all the help. As far as replacement it looks like factory from the dealer is $500. Seems a bit high. Is there an aftermarket that would be recomended? Don't want to go with a cheap one that will break in a year either.