HID Bulb help

This is a discussion on HID Bulb help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did some searching but am a little short on time, trying to get the HID bulb replaced on my ...

HID Bulb help

I did some searching but am a little short on time, trying to get the HID bulb replaced on my 04 WRX. The bulb burns about 50% of the time, I suspect the filament is broken making sporadic contact.

The car has low beam HID, the metal box says Pilot. The bulb has only a number ID on it, 3612. Nothing else, so help a brother out, what can I replaace that bulb with? Can I get it local at an auto parts store or must I order it.

What additional info do I need? I can take the bulb out and take a pic if that will help.

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Please don't use HIDs in your halogen housings. Osram Nighbreakers seem to have a good following.

I Support ClubWRX
    I assume this is an STi? According to my 2004 manual, the bulb type is a D2R.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Contact Dan, he knows all things automotive bulbs.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Please don't use HIDs in your halogen housings. Osram Nighbreakers seem to have a good following.
    Can you tell me how to remove the kit then, I honestly don't like the HID brightness anyway. It looks like I can remove the box and then I need to reconnect the stock headlight wires to the bulb, which means I need to find the stock connector?

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I assume this is an STi? According to my 2004 manual, the bulb type is a D2R.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Contact Dan, he knows all things automotive bulbs.
    It is not an STI, and it is not the stock bulbs, it is an aftermarket HID kit installed by the prev owner.
    Last edited by seanmcd; 10-02-2009 at 03:06 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
    It is not an STI, and it is not the stock bulbs, it is an aftermarket HOD kit installed by the prev owner.
    Ouch. Good luck with that - might be a hard find. Dan is still worth a try.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd View Post
    Can you tell me how to remove the kit then, I honestly don't like the HID brightness anyway. It looks like I can remove the box and then I need to reconnect the stock headlight wires to the bulb, which means I need to find the stock connector?
    Can you tell if it's hardwired or is it a plug and play kit?

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Can you tell if it's hardwired or is it a plug and play kit?
    2 wires, that I assume were the original headlight wires, are spliced into a harness that leads back to the transformer box. From that box 2 more wires go to the headlight low beam assembly and there are 2 plugs in between there and the HID bulb. Sounds plug and play, I would just need to find the stock connector to attach the stock bulbs, yes?