Help or insight appreciated
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help or insight appreciated within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is my first post here after lingering for a while, and I am an admin on another net forum ...

Help or insight appreciated

This is my first post here after lingering for a while, and I am an admin on another net forum so *forgive me mods/admin if this is the wrong place for this, feel free to move it.

Ok, here goes.... I own a 2.0L 2005 WRX sedan. Currently has 91k on it and I have been doing regular oil changes (Mobil 1) every 3-4kmiles. I have had a few problems for some time now and a few that are newer, but I wanted to get the "experts" insight if I may (which it seems many of you here are).

I will list what I can think of right now and any advise would be appreciated.

This weekend I am doing the following and dont know what may help or not but doing it either way... Oil change, fuel filter, injector cleaning (removal), and a new air filter.

Problems:

-fairly decent lag in first gear. More or less a bit of a shudder off the line like you would expect from a warped flywheel which it very well could be but I dont know.

-the a/c compressor making an obscenely bad sound, which I read here was likely the idler pulley and will be replacing shortly as well.

-(this one is strange) I noticed that my heater only blows ambient air when the car is at idle. When I first got it, you could fry an egg on the heater vents, and now only warms up when driving/engine revved.

-(only a menial problem as I dont race the car particularly) The turbo will still spool but seems to take a little while longer, and I am not getting the full 13-16(? stock) boost indicated on the gauge.

Those are the ones I can think of and would love some help from those of you who can help. Also, if anyone knows of an 05 that is being parted out and I can purchase parts of the body, that would be helpful also.

Thanks all,

B

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The lag and A/C compressor thing *could* be related. If you have a bad pulley that's causing more friction than the obsene amount that our compressors already do, it could cause a bit more lag in power.

A/C takes a HUGE amount of power away from the motor. It's unbelievably noticable on Subaru's for some reason, so I would look into that.

It sounds to me like your car likely just needs a little TLC, replace spark plugs if you haven't already, and do your injector cleaning, make sure you replace all of the gaskets as you go along. MAF sensor COULD be gunked up as well.

As for your heater, you may have something gunking up your heater core inside of the dash. How does your temperature guage look when you're driving? If it's too low, you may have a stuck thermostat.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCtower View Post
    -fairly decent lag in first gear. More or less a bit of a shudder off the line like you would expect from a warped flywheel which it very well could be but I dont know.
    Vacuum leak? Tough one to diagnose, especially without a CEL on.

-the a/c compressor making an obscenely bad sound, which I read here was likely the idler pulley and will be replacing shortly as well.
    Either that or the belt. Use authentic Subaru belts and you may as well replace them both while you're in there.

-(this one is strange) I noticed that my heater only blows ambient air when the car is at idle. When I first got it, you could fry an egg on the heater vents, and now only warms up when driving/engine revved.
    Obstruction, including air pocket -- so burp the system -- and while you are at it check for circulation as you are refilling with the cap off to confirm the thermostat both opens and closes.

-(only a menial problem as I dont race the car particularly) The turbo will still spool but seems to take a little while longer, and I am not getting the full 13-16(? stock) boost indicated on the gauge.
    Vacuum leak again, potentially at the gauge connection.

About your username: are you a fan of ATC loudspeakers then?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you for your kind responses! I am replying to them to provide more info for the situation, not tell you guys I think you are wrong about anything as I really dont know as much about the car as I probably should...
    Please help me keep troubleshooting and if you make it out to Denver the beer is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    The lag and A/C compressor thing *could* be related. If you have a bad pulley that's causing more friction than the obsene amount that our compressors already do, it could cause a bit more lag in power.

A/C takes a HUGE amount of power away from the motor. It's unbelievably noticable on Subaru's for some reason, so I would look into that.

It sounds to me like your car likely just needs a little TLC, replace spark plugs if you haven't already, and do your injector cleaning, make sure you replace all of the gaskets as you go along. MAF sensor COULD be gunked up as well.

As for your heater, you may have something gunking up your heater core inside of the dash. How does your temperature guage look when you're driving? If it's too low, you may have a stuck thermostat.
    The compressor issue shouldnt be considered with it as I cut the AC belt when the noise started so the compressor/idler pulley is no longer moving at all.

The TLC is certainly flowing. I own the car outright now so spending $ on it isnt much of an issue anymore, I just want it to kick ass LOL.

Temp gauge seems to be at the same point it always has so I think the thermostat is probably operating normally

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Vacuum leak? Tough one to diagnose, especially without a CEL on.

Either that or the belt. Use authentic Subaru belts and you may as well replace them both while you're in there.

Obstruction, including air pocket -- so burp the system -- and while you are at it check for circulation as you are refilling with the cap off to confirm the thermostat both opens and closes.

Vacuum leak again, potentially at the gauge connection.

About your username: are you a fan of ATC loudspeakers then?
    Whatever floats one's boat is fine with me. I have learned United's Chanel 9 is far less fun these days...

I doubt the turbo spool is gauge related, as it does seem to boost less than it used to (maybe I am just used to the car).

I am almost certain the thermostat is in functioning order. Are you saying burp the cooling system or...?

The belt actually isnt really an issue. I cut that a year ago so the a/c compressor isnt running at all. The sound went away and voila, it has held that way.

And no CEL on which drew my attention away from the mass air sensors.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCtower View Post
    Whatever floats one's boat is fine with me. I have learned United's Chanel 9 is far less fun these days...
    Uh-oh, I'm confused. I initially thought your online name referred to an audiophile, but it seems it refers to an air traffic controller. Oops. Just curious.

I doubt the turbo spool is gauge related, as it does seem to boost less than it used to (maybe I am just used to the car).
    Still IMO worth checking all the hosing for a leak.

I am almost certain the thermostat is in functioning order. Are you saying burp the cooling system or...?
    OK assuming the thermostat closes, we still have the no-heater situation and I am at a bit of a loss, assuming the switch on the dash directs vent flow correctly, so it might IMO be worthwhile turning the heat to "ON" and turning on the cabin fan and seeing if a burp of the cooling system helps. (Anybody else have suggestions here guys?)

The belt actually isnt really an issue. I cut that a year ago so the a/c compressor isnt running at all. The sound went away and voila, it has held that way.
    OK so it still could have been the belt, pulley, or the compressor itself. I'm hoping that's the order of likelihood since that's the order of cost and complexity, and you'll only need the belt and/or pulley. Do use a dealer belt, they tend to squeak less, slip less, and just work better IMO for about the same cost as aftermarket.

And no CEL on which drew my attention away from the mass air sensors.
    OK that makes sense as an approach. It's interesting there's no CEL, makes me suspect a vacuum leak less but I can't put a finger on what it might be instead though. Hm... wish I was more certain, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes, it is in reference to Air Traffic Control, but speakers so loud they blow womens clothes off are of interest to me as well.

Today a friend and I changed the air filter, cleaned the mass air sensor, found no vacuum leaks.

Odd problems to have, but came up with one more for ya'll while working on it.

It seems there is quite a lot of excess oil (engine oil) built up and burnt on the charge tube between the intake manifold and the intercooler. Any thoughts on this??

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.