WTH is this

This is a discussion on WTH is this within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all im new to the forums. I bought my 02 Subaru WRX 5 spd MT - in June of ...

WTH is this

Hi all im new to the forums. I bought my 02 Subaru WRX 5 spd MT - in June of this year and have been slowly doing maintenance work on it to get her back up to snuff as a DD. She has 161k on the clock as of an hour ago. So far ive replaced all Brake Pads and rotors, new tires, alignment, oil change and am planning on flushing the tranny and front/rear diffs soon.

I just replaced the radiator on her last night. when you rev past 3k it used to shoot out of the top of the radiator like a friggin fountain. i cleaned it all up and now i STILL see this funky green **** on these lines on a black radiator looking thign IN FRONT of where the rad is.

WTH is that thing? im leaning towards AC condeser. its got this neon OMGBBQ green crap coming out of both ends of it. i thought it was coolant but dunno for sure. any help is highly appreceiated. im also over on wrxtuners but they dont seem to be very helpul >_<

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The only thing that is technically really in front of the radiator is the AC Condensor. The "green stuff" your seeing may be dye or of course coolant which sprayed everywhere..Is the AC cold? I dont really recall many, if any AC condensors coming from the factory in the color black in any of the 02 WRX's though....I think a picture would definately be helpful here to know exactly what your talking about...

ill take a pic in morning. ty for quick reply

common problem

What you've got is a high pressure radiator leak. As the subaru radiators age, they develop stress fractures in the upper plastic part of the radiator...which shoots the green radiator fluid from the top over the engine and everything else under the hood. Stop leak or other products will not work....time for a new radiator, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukeeWRX View Post
    What you've got is a high pressure radiator leak. As the subaru radiators age, they develop stress fractures in the upper plastic part of the radiator...which shoots the green radiator fluid from the top over the engine and everything else under the hood. Stop leak or other products will not work....time for a new radiator, my friend.
    yes i know i already replaced the radiator. it was doing exactly as you stated. im speaking about the part in FRONT of the radiator. its sandwiched between the radiator itself and the front bumper. it has lines coming off the left and right sides of it on the top. the green crap is coming from there.

As stated the piece you are speaking of is the A/C condenser. The refrigerant oil/dye within is neon green color. Based on your description, my guess would be:
    A. an o-ring on one of the fittings is faulty or
    B. one of the lines/condenser itself has ruptured therefore leaking.

Does your car blow nice cold air when a/C is selected? I suppose not and if so get the A/C system leak tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Marne_Aeok View Post
    ill take a pic in morning. ty for quick reply
    No prob. man..yeah a pic. would be good just to make sure were on the same page...

AC and heat both blow ice cold and satans bathroom respectively. im leading towards line.

Of course this dye could always have been from a previous leak and they repaired the leak and the dye is still visible...
    Or its just dried coolant from when the radiator spewed out..