Changing Timing belt, what else should be changed?

This is a discussion on Changing Timing belt, what else should be changed? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I'm about to get some maintenance done, i just hit 90k on the original belt. I have been ...

Changing Timing belt, what else should be changed?

Hey everyone,

I'm about to get some maintenance done, i just hit 90k on the original belt. I have been running the car hard lately and don't wanna take a chance of the car dieing on me, I got the following ready to be installed.

Timing Belt
    water pump
    tensioner
    crank shaft seals
    main bearing seal

is there anything else i should replace while in there?
    Thanks
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Mods
    Cobb Stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you see any juice coming out then replace that part. Also replace the external accessory belts, using authentic Subaru items.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 ^..Take a feel of all the idlers and if any of them feel rough or are questionable..replace it. ( Of course some people prefer to replace all of them anyway while there in there, also considering this is a highly interference engine )..Also I was going to mention all 4 cam seals, however that may be what your referring to as the "crank shaft seals"..And the 1 crank seal which you may be referring to as the "main bearing seal"...Also It prob wouldn't hurt to remove the oil pump and tighten the backing plate screws ( they have a tendency to back out sometimes) reseal the pump, and replace the o-ring...

are the 4 cam seals and the crank shaft easy to replace? note all is apart today for the belts/pump, etc replacement.
    thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by targawrx View Post
    are the 4 cam seals and the crank shaft easy to replace?
    Easy is such a relative term. I'd say feasible, but then again I am not mechanically skilled. Here is what ended up happening on my car in the link below. I got extra vise grips and used the old seals backwards to hammer in the new ones. A bunch of o-ring picks got broken removing the old seals.

Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.