smoking like a cigarette out the hood scoop

This is a discussion on smoking like a cigarette out the hood scoop within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought an '05 WRX wagon with 85k miles. Here is the daily ritual. Start the car at 6:45 ...

smoking like a cigarette out the hood scoop

I just bought an '05 WRX wagon with 85k miles. Here is the daily ritual. Start the car at 6:45 to warm up. Leave at 7:00. I have to drive about 3 miles to my son's daycare. The car never goes above 45 mph in this time. At about a mile and a half, I hit my first stop light. This is when the car fills with a burning oil smell and I notice light smoke out of the hood scoop. I continue on, and by the time I hit the parking lot and turn the car off, it is smoking about the amount as if a cigarette were sitting in the hood scoop. It is a light white color and smells heavily like either oil or burning rubber. By the time I drive another couple of miles to get to work, it is gone and done. This all happens with no drop in performance. It does idle a little rough sometimes. This burning is just happening on it's first run of the day. Dealership replaced the valve seals, but the problem persisted. They checked the turbo and pulled the down pipe. No oil. Please let me know if this is just normal or I need to take it back for what I'm sure will be time after time after time...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not normal. Find the leak.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    totally off topic but any reason why you leave your car running for 15 minutes to warm up? that seems kind of extreme

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Chances are you are leaking something onto the down pipe and after it gets hot it starts to burn. I had my inner boot tear on my 06 and sling grease all over the down pipe. Smells less than wonderful and at stops, smoked out the scoop. Do you see any faint smoke trailing behind the car? Anything dripping or puddling?
    Last edited by azWRX06; 10-01-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by machinehead75 View Post
    I just bought an '05 WRX wagon with 85k miles. Here is the daily ritual. Start the car at 6:45 to warm up. Leave at 7:00. I have to drive about 3 miles to my son's daycare. The car never goes above 45 mph in this time. At about a mile and a half, I hit my first stop light. This is when the car fills with a burning oil smell and I notice light smoke out of the hood scoop. I continue on, and by the time I hit the parking lot and turn the car off, it is smoking about the amount as if a cigarette were sitting in the hood scoop. It is a light white color and smells heavily like either oil or burning rubber. By the time I drive another couple of miles to get to work, it is gone and done. This all happens with no drop in performance. It does idle a little rough sometimes. This burning is just happening on it's first run of the day. Dealership replaced the valve seals, but the problem persisted. They checked the turbo and pulled the down pipe. No oil. Please let me know if this is just normal or I need to take it back for what I'm sure will be time after time after time...

I had the same problem with my o5 wag. I bought it new and had what appears to be a similar problem. HOpefully your will be as easy to fix as mine. My transmission dipstick would not seat properly and would slowly back out and would allow some oil to hit the downpipe. Again, smelled awful and looked like the car was on fire out the scoop.

my .02

i had a problem like this with my o4' wrx, i had an air intake installed and it was rubbing against my power steering line and it eventually rubbed through the metal and start leaking fluid onto my header which was creating white smoke out the hood scoop. I had to take it in and have the power steering lines replaced at subaru it cost around 500 bucks.. not sure if this helps but maybe check your power steering fluid levels...