Oil in antifreeze? 06 Sti

This is a discussion on Oil in antifreeze? 06 Sti within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I opened the cap on my radiator their are little brown swirls in it. It appears to be oil( ...

Oil in antifreeze? 06 Sti

When I opened the cap on my radiator their are little brown swirls in it. It appears to be oil( I just put red fliud in the radiator that is supposed to lower the tempabout two weeks ago). Can oil in the antifreeze be something other than a head gastket? Possibly turbo related? My turbo is getting a little tired at 63000 miles, and the bottom end of the motor only has 2000 miles on it. They installed a new head gasket when they installed the new short block. Also their is no antfreeze in the oil.
    Last edited by turbotwist; 09-29-2009 at 12:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    It appears to be oil( I just put red fliud in the radiator that is supposed to lower the tempabout two weeks ago).
    You mean water wetter? Why? Was the car overheating? Is it overheating now?

Can oil in the antifreeze be something other than a head gastket? Possibly turbo related?
    Conceivably.

My turbo is getting a little tired at 63000 miles,
    How do you know this, and why? At 63K the turbo should only 1/3 or so into its service life.

and the bottom end of the motor only has 2000 miles on it. They installed a new head gasket when they installed the new short block.
    What happened? Who did the work?

Also their is no antfreeze in the oil.
    You don't know this without oil analysis.

Take the car back to whomever did the work, show them the reservoir, and see what they say.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The car wasnt overheating I just figured it wasnt a bad idea to add the water wetter with the warm weather we have had. The turbo seems a little on the laggy side(by a few hundred rpm), and the tuners at dent sport said it may be a little on the tired side. A subaru dealer did the replacement of the short block. I was running at stage 1 for over 30,000 miles and a ring broke and scratched the number 4 cylinder.The new motor runs strong and I had dent sport do a compression check before I put the downpipe and exhaust back on, and all 4 cylinders were spot on. The car had spent most of its life at stage 1, and a small amount of time at stage 2 which may contribute to the tired turbo. short block was replaced at 60,000 miles. Im at 63500 right now, and I broke the new motor in properly for 1000 miles
    Last edited by turbotwist; 09-29-2009 at 02:00 PM.

any ideas would be much appreciated