spark plug wires
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on spark plug wires within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; where can i find stock spark plug wires for an 02 wrx...

spark plug wires

where can i find stock spark plug wires for an 02 wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You have coil-over-ignition, meaning that the coils sit directly on top of the spark plugs, no plug wires required.

DUB
    Get these ones.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    No, no, no, he has a WRX, he needs these much higher performance ones.

I will say I chuckled at this one fellas..hahaha thats a pretty cool link there Anub1s...

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

need plugs and wires whats good?????? 06 wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by viperhd View Post
    Read above!

You don't need wires.

Unless you're driving a beast with a monster hairdryer on it... Get OEM spark plugs.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by viperhd View Post
    I think you might need the tune up not the car.........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

This thread just keeps getting better

coils or wires?

I used a spark plug wire/plug tester (the one with the light bulb in it) and I got a flashing light bulb on every cylinder (and according to the tester instructions a flashing bulb/running engine indicates faulty wires and/or ignition coils/distributer).

So here's my question, could the wires be faulty or is it more likely to be the coils? I would rather pay the moolah for the wires (if I can find them) as opposed to the coils (cheapest I saw was $90/ea).

Give me some suggestions if anyone knows and PLEASE tell me where I can find the wires (they're the ones that look like regular electrical wires with the plastic clips on the ends). Napa or Advanced didn't carry them and I'm leary to calling the dealer but will do in a pinch.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spacebarcode View Post
    I used a spark plug wire/plug tester (the one with the light bulb in it) and I got a flashing light bulb on every cylinder (and according to the tester instructions a flashing bulb/running engine indicates faulty wires and/or ignition coils/distributer).

So here's my question, could the wires be faulty or is it more likely to be the coils? I would rather pay the moolah for the wires (if I can find them) as opposed to the coils (cheapest I saw was $90/ea).

Give me some suggestions if anyone knows and PLEASE tell me where I can find the wires (they're the ones that look like regular electrical wires with the plastic clips on the ends). Napa or Advanced didn't carry them and I'm leary to calling the dealer but will do in a pinch.
    First question, why are you doing the testing on your spark plugs and coils? Is your car not running? Misfire issue? The wiring for the coils is built into the engine wiring harness, you won't be able to find them anywhere.

There is no need to replace these wires if you just happen to think it's time. They're not a maintenance part. The only time you should have any issues at all with those wires is if someone cut them or if they became old and brittle and happened to break (have yet to see this happen).
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    First question, why are you doing the testing on your spark plugs and coils? Is your car not running? Misfire issue? The wiring for the coils is built into the engine wiring harness, you won't be able to find them anywhere.

There is no need to replace these wires if you just happen to think it's time. They're not a maintenance part. The only time you should have any issues at all with those wires is if someone cut them or if they became old and brittle and happened to break (have yet to see this happen).
    Thanks for the quick response.

To answer your question, getting a hesitation when accelorating from 500 - 2000 rpm or until the turbo kicks in. I replaced the spark plugs 3-4 mo. ago with high ends from Napa (no issues there). I have no problems in idle and it had a difficult time starting (only once) with a smell of a flooded engine afterwards (which doesn't make sense with fuel injected).

This is what made me think that the coils were bad.

Thanks for letting me know about the wires. From what I can see of them they look fine so good news that I won't have to tear my engine apart to get to them.

So could it be the coils?

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you getting a CEL?

Do you have a fuel leak?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

fuel leak...not that I know of.

I got two codes the other day (well after the slow start and right after I was playing around with the plugs and the air filter sensor), can't remember them off the top of my head. Read with the 'ol Actron, wrote them down, erased the codes and the the idiot light didn't come back on.

Have no problems now...except the hesitation.
    Last edited by spacebarcode; 05-24-2010 at 08:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.