no spark comming from coils

This is a discussion on no spark comming from coils within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok I bought a 2007 subaru wrx limited at a car auction thinking I got a good deal but I ...

no spark comming from coils

Ok I bought a 2007 subaru wrx limited at a car auction thinking I got a good deal but I can't seem to get it started, so im not sure now. its my first subaru so I dont know much about them. I tried to start the car and it turned over but would not run. so what I did is changed all the spark plugs an that did nothing. so I checked if the coils were working and it seems that the coils on the passenger side are not working but the ones on the drivers side seem to work just fine. so I thought maybe its the coils so I switched them around and they work just fine on the other side. now I dont know what to do can anyone help me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by william07 View Post
    so I checked if the coils were working and it seems that the coils on the passenger side are not working but the ones on the drivers side seem to work just fine. so I thought maybe its the coils so I switched them around and they work just fine on the other side. now I dont know what to do can anyone help me?
    If the coils work when you switched them around you are getting spark to all 4 cylinders...from this info. I would say your need two new coils..but that is a shot from the hip...

sorry what I ment is when I take the two coils from the passenger side of the car and put them on the driver side they work but when I put them on the passenger side they dont work. I only get spark from the driver side. Im wondering why I only get spark to one side of the motor and not the other. Is there a relay that could be bad or a ground thats not connected or could it be a crank sensor or something?

I was thinking about that..maybe there is a common wire that got pinched...If you can I would prob pick up a wiring diagram and trace some wires and see if any are common between coils 1 and 3... how did you verify they don't have spark? so you just went out one time and the car wouldn't start at all or did the car die when you where driving? I'm kind of thinking maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth or something...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 09-27-2009 at 03:11 PM.

I took the coils off and put a spark plug in it and had someone turn it over and looked for the spark. The car just would not start.

You have a short somewhere in your wiring harness,get a wiring diagram and trace your wires back through if you already checked the coil packs.

ill try that, do you think it could be a relay?

I Support ClubWRX
    PM me if you need a new harness. I got a used one I can sell ya cheap!
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S