Cel p01443

This is a discussion on Cel p01443 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a fully stock 2003 WRX that I purchased in January 2003. Within a week of purchasing the car, ...

Cel p01443

I have a fully stock 2003 WRX that I purchased in January 2003. Within a week of purchasing the car, the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealer and got the CEL code P1443: Evaporative emission control system vent control function problem.

They replaced the valve. Long story short, this light has been on most of the time that I have owned the car. The car has been seen by 3 different Subie dealerships, to no avail. Right after my warranty expired, the local dealership explained that it was my problem now. I argued, they coceeded and worked on it for a week, free of charge. They assured me that the light would not come back on for the foreseeable future. Apparently, their definition of "foreseeable future" is three months. When I called them back, they essentially shrugged their shoulders and said they did their best but ultimately, this code does not effect the way the car runs and therefore, I could live with it. In order to pass inspection, I simply disconnect the battery and drive it around for about 80 miles before the inspection. It's worked thus far. Invariably, the light comes back on.

So, as mentioned in anther thread, I had the tensioner go out and the timing belt slip thus leading to some significant repairs. Just got it back after a 2 month hiatus and, you guessed it: CEL P1443. Mechanic (non-dealership) checked the valve and it looked good.

I have looked through the other threads involving P1443. No definitive answers except to check the gas cap and replace the valve. So, my question to the board is: are there any other solutions? Anyone else had a similar experience with a result, bad, good or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With the green PDI connectors plugged in see if you can hear the valve clicking on and off..it should....if it doesnt check for power and switched ground at the connector...though you mentioned the valve was already replaced..,pull down the canister and pull the vent hose out of the "frame" rail there should be like a little plastic elbow there...sometimes spider webs or condensation or whatever can get in there and throw this code...I usually take some compressed air and clean it out.... Give these things a whirl first....

Thanks for the advice EvoEatr. I will pass it on to the mechanic and see if this helps resolve the code. Thanks also for your prior assistance on my other thread. I had the H2O pump and thermostat replaced and threw in the NGK Iridium plugs as per your advice.

One other question. After the repairs to the engine were complete and the humpty dumpty was all back together again, the car runs great. One problem is that the alarm system does not seem to be working. The remote opens and locks the doors but does not arm the alarm system. The horn chirp also works. The security light on the gauge cluster blinks rapidly once the door is opened or closed. The mechanic is taking a look at it. Any thoughts?

No prob dude...So the alarm system prob. wasnt there before you changed the plugs, thermostat and water pump?..Ive never really encountered this problem with the alarm system before, however the first thing I would try is reprogramming the remotes even though they do work... Subaru Keyless remote programming instructions
    How many miles are on this vehicle again?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    No prob dude...So the alarm system prob. wasnt there before you changed the plugs, thermostat and water pump?..Ive never really encountered this problem with the alarm system before, however the first thing I would try is reprogramming the remotes even though they do work... Subaru Keyless remote programming instructions
    How many miles are on this vehicle again?
    The car has about 66,000 miles. The alarm system was working prior to the mechanical failure that necessitated the assload of repairs.

I'll pass on the programming instructions to the mechanic. Thanks again.

Okay, turns out that the alarm was in valet mode. Followed the directions in another thred and viola, alarm works.

Thanks again for the help EvoEater.

no prob man..any word on the P1443?

Cel

i believe i had the same CEL code. it was a wire behind the rear right side wheel/tire. there is like a black box with a pair of wires running to it. i found that one of them was rusted off so i soldered it back together...no more CEL. let me know if that worked.

Quote Originally Posted by 920wrx View Post
    i believe i had the same CEL code. it was a wire behind the rear right side wheel/tire. there is like a black box with a pair of wires running to it. i found that one of them was rusted off so i soldered it back together...no more CEL. let me know if that worked.
    Yes that black box would be the evap canister..I have seen wires back out of that two wire connector before also..

you'll be amazed what you can find with the search button...or just google it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    no prob man..any word on the P1443?
    Mechanic followed your advice but the CEL code P1443 is still there. He tested the gas cap and that was good as well. No debris and the valve was clicking as it should. More shrugged shoulders.

Thanks for the advice 920wrx, I'll give that a whirl. Starting to think that my WRX was built on a Monday or something. Runs fine but that freaking light drives me nuts. It's also annoying having to deal with the inspection. Up to now, I've been able to avoid any problems by re-setting the system before the inspection. If I can't solve the problem, I just hope I can continue to get around it.
    Last edited by EP WRX; 09-28-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Misspell

just looking at it, i couldn't tell but when i touched it, it broke. so make sure you take a closer look at it. hope it solves your problems. trust me it took me 6 months to finally find an answer too. had to do alot of researching.