My WRX STI after it has rained.

This is a discussion on My WRX STI after it has rained. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, I am a new member and also a new owner of a wrx sti. I drive a 02 JDM ...

My WRX STI after it has rained.

Hi, I am a new member and also a new owner of a wrx sti.
    I drive a 02 JDM WRX STI and am loving it!
    However I have one problem. Whenever I park my car outside the garage overnight and it rains, the next day my car does not run properly.

The severity of what happens varies a bit from time to time, but usually it has a rough inconsistent idle, and weird throttle response. Then whilst driving - if I put it under any load, usually around 4-5000 rpm, all power seems to cut (similar to the feeling of a speed cut). I guess its a boost cut?

The small mods I have on it are an Apexi Pod filter with the Apexi neck, and a b.o.v.

Has anyone experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know but would guess at an electrical connection. I'm going to move this to troubleshooting & maybe you can get more help there.

Welcome to the club!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    My guess is the filter on the air intake is close to the fender and is getting wet due to water getting in between the hood and fender crack/channel. Happens all the time with SRI's and hard rains.........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Chop Tom View Post
    Hi, I am a new member and also a new owner of a wrx sti.
    I drive a 02 JDM WRX STI and am loving it!
    However I have one problem. Whenever I park my car outside the garage overnight and it rains, the next day my car does not run properly.

The severity of what happens varies a bit from time to time, but usually it has a rough inconsistent idle, and weird throttle response. Then whilst driving - if I put it under any load, usually around 4-5000 rpm, all power seems to cut (similar to the feeling of a speed cut). I guess its a boost cut?

The small mods I have on it are an Apexi Pod filter with the Apexi neck, and a b.o.v.

Has anyone experienced this?
    By any chance are you also having voltage issues at the same time. I have a very similar problem. It doesn't matter if it rained or if I just washed the car I get a strange voltage pattern. My symptoms are similar but the one thing I do know if that my odometer backlight will flicker and sometime if I hit the brake the radio will go off.

I have followed with my ap2 and my voltage ranges from 12.8-15.8 when it is acting up.

I have a cobb intake so mine should not be associated with a wet filter.
    Last edited by scooby-do; 10-05-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    My guess is the filter on the air intake is close to the fender and is getting wet due to water getting in between the hood and fender crack/channel. Happens all the time with SRI's and hard rains.........
    I agree with Ron on this one...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!