Hollow noise

This is a discussion on Hollow noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car makes a strange noise between 30-35 mph and 60-65 mph, it's like a high pitch hollow noise and ...

Hollow noise

My car makes a strange noise between 30-35 mph and 60-65 mph, it's like a high pitch hollow noise and is pretty loud between 60-65mph and kind of faint in the 30-35mph range. I was hoping someone would be able to help diagnose the noise.

It's a 05 wrx with 33,xxx miles on it if that helps.

Thanks
    -Arie

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Where does this noise sound like its coming from..Just off the top of my head I'm thinking window gussets are out of adjustment..Is it kind of like a wind noise? Are there any roof racks on the car? But wait it ONLY does it between 30-35 and 60-65 it doesn't happen at all between 35-60???

I guess it kind of sounds like a wind noise but it seems too loud between 60-65mph to be that. It sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine bay when sitting in the drivers seat. I don't have any racks or anything.
    The sound only happens between those speeds and is more intense between the 60-65. It doesn't happen when speeding up through those speeds, but when I'm trying to stay at a speed within those boundaries like if I'm sitting at 63mph it will make the noise. It also does it while slowing down through the speed if I let the engine slow the car down but not really when I'm braking through those speeds if that makes sense.

anyone have any idea?

Does it do it in neutral when you rev? Engine sources are usually tied to RPM, not speed.

Speed noises could be many things from tire noise to window seals.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

do yea have like a boost gauge or any thing like that?

nah i don't have a boost gauge and it isn't linked to rpms because it only does it at those two speed ranges.

I vote for tires...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

My tires are in great condition, but the front left tire could be unbalanced. Maybe the weight fell off haha. I should probably check that.