Cracked Radiator?? Please help

This is a discussion on Cracked Radiator?? Please help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So a few days ago i discovered a small coolant leak on the lower radiator hose. Today i went to ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar

Cracked Radiator?? Please help

So a few days ago i discovered a small coolant leak on the lower radiator hose. Today i went to replace the hose when i discovered a potentially much bigger problem. At the very top of the radiator (black piece on top) there looks to be a hairline crack. It appears to have leaked a little and i can hear what sounds like the pressure pushing through the crack. So my question, is this piece connected to the radiator to the point where i have to replace the entire unit? Is there a chance it still is just the lower hose?

I had to drive the car for approx. 25 miles after i discovered the leak, it was not overheating until just today when i had to run and get the replacement hose (wish i had another car to drive). Could this have started with a lower hose problem and because of the overheating caused the radiator to crack?

Sorry for all the questions, my knowledge hasnt expanded to radiator problems yet.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No real loss actually. The radiators are IMO prone to failure (I am on my third; the first was replaced when the car had... 6,000 mi on it -- that's not a typo, my oh-so-reliable Subaru had a radiator failure at six thousand miles...).

Another common issue is that even if it's just the hose leaking initially, the hose fittings on the radiator tend to become "brittle" with age, making hose replacement and clamp tightening a bit of a challenge (one false move and you need a new radiator anyway).

Replace the radiator using authentic Subaru hoses and the correct Subaru coolant.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Radiator suggestions?

Keep in mind im sort of short on cash at the moment so something in a decent price range would be nice.

03 - 2003 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sti Radiator 2.0L L4 122 | GenesisAutoParts.com

Saw that one but not so sure, Price seems a little too low. Last question, is there any chance i could have cracked my block? It was only overheating for about half a mile.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Block damage is IMO unlikely, as is the more common head damage -- I would not be concerned about this at this stage since you need a radiator anyway and the motor damage possibility, while it cannot IMO entirely dismissed, is also low on the list right now. Think of it as a bridge to fall off if, and only if, you get there. Likely you won't.

Radiators can cost from $100 to $500+. If you want an OEM style radiator look into Koyo (they also sell more expensive race-style all-Al radiators; I use their OEM style unit since I could not justify the expense).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for your help.

Looks like the subie is out of commision for a few days
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Koyo radiator + 160 degree thermostat + redline water wetter. Your temp gauge will be below that one line, it's always above.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Last edited by GarrettKoonsman; 09-22-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

It's really you get what you pay for, the koyo is a great unit. I have one in my car, and don't have a single complaint. I was going to get one from mishimoto but I read about to many people with fitment problems. The thermostats you can buy from grimmspeed, crucial racing or zerosports. Probably some other ones too. They're all the same. Water wetter you can pick up at your local autoparts store.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

ok thank you so much for your help. Looks like im going with the oem style replacement from koyo. The thermostat from one of those vendors and i'll pick up the fluid when i get my coolant from subaru.

So im out about.....250 ish. Damn, my car is lucky i love it so damn much or i would have sold it by now.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Links and prices for these??

All the koyo's i see are 300-400.
    But you linked to a Koyo that is not (?) and in fact looks like the OEM unit.

Look into the OEM Koyo if you're interested, it's less than $150 in my area. Call Koyo and ask for a part number if need be, then shop around with that part number. I did it all by phone and local pickup.

KoyoRad.com - Leader in Automotive OE Radiators

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    But you linked to a Koyo that is not (?) and in fact looks like the OEM unit.

Look into the OEM Koyo if you're interested, it's less than $150 in my area. Call Koyo and ask for a part number if need be, then shop around with that part number. I did it all by phone and local pickup.

KoyoRad.com - Leader in Automotive OE Radiators
    ya sorry i edited the post when i found it. Just realized i made it really confusing. I will look around locally however my guess is noone is going to stock it. I couldnt even find a place with the radiator hoses in stock in my area.

Sorry for the confusion
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

well the radiator and hoses are finally installed. Took me way longer than i expected. Draining the old radiator took close to an hour. Other than that it wasnt too bad. After burping the system i went for a short drive and everything seemed good, im going to take it for a little longer drive here in a bit after going over it all again to make sure there are no leaks.

Overall the fitment of the Koyo radiator was flawless. And my car already seems to be driving a little better (could be my imagination)
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics