What maintenance do I need?

This is a discussion on What maintenance do I need? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 2002 WRX is at 95K and, after talking to my local dealer, they suggested a tune up (filter, plugs, ...

What maintenance do I need?

My 2002 WRX is at 95K and, after talking to my local dealer, they suggested a tune up (filter, plugs, etc.). I need an oil change anyways, so she's probably going into the shop this week. I know TB/WP is needed in about 10k miles, but what else should I be doing at this point?

Also:

What kind of oil should I run? I was thinking Mobil 1. If I do synthetic, can I go 10k miles like most cars can on synthetic?

What kind of spark plugs should I buy?

Anything else I'm forgetting that should/needs to be done?

I'm hoping to have this done on Thursday, so I need to know quickly!

TIA
    Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a recovering Euro Snob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What kind of oil should I run? I was thinking Mobil 1. If I do synthetic, can I go 10k miles like most cars can on synthetic?
    I run Mobil 1, you'll find Mobil 1 5w30 contested a bit here, some say it can lead to spun rod bearings. And never, ever, ever attempt to go 10k miles not matter what you run.

What kind of spark plugs should I buy?
    Unless you're modded enough to make it a requirement, stock ignition components are always best.

Load up your year/mileage at the website and see what the maintenance menu says. If they have a "severe use" schedule, choose that option. Others that have owned a Subaru longer than I have can give you some other things to check out at that mileage.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Thanks! I'm used to my last car, a MINI, that had a maintenance computer built in. I only had my oil changed once every 10-15k miles!

Is there a preffered plug? I know Honda guys only use NGK. Is there a similar preference with Subarus?

Geez, doing a search for all this yielded dozens of "OMG MY CAR IS DYING" or "EVERYTHING IS BREAKING" threads, all around my mileage and year. Really hoping I didn't just buy a world of expensive repairs...
    Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a recovering Euro Snob.

DUB
    All of your answers are contained within:

http://www.subaru.com/content/downlo...02SchedFed.pdf
    Last edited by DUB; 09-21-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Haven't had to change my plugs yet; but stock would likely be either NGK or Denso, both great plugs.

Hopefully nothing will blow up on you, just take care of it. When you start to get into that mileage range though you may have the occasional more expensive issue that pops up.

Always wanted to take a Mini for a spin, you'd think the placement of the wheels would make for some killer handling.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'