power steering help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on power steering help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yesterday morning i started my car and it seem to make a loud squeak when i accelerated and seemed to ...

power steering help

yesterday morning i started my car and it seem to make a loud squeak when i accelerated and seemed to handle wierd, i stopped and checked it out and when i started it again it was fine, got to work and when i started it again it had the squeak when i accelerated but shortly after the steering wheel became as hard to turn as when the car was off and the battery light and break light were on.
    a couple weeks ago the shop i take it to said my battery was giving off a very low signal, could that have anything to do with it or is it something to do with power steering?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dimes to donuts your have a worn/slipped/broken drive belt..Your battery and brake light will come because the belt is bad and the alt. cannot charge your battery and obviously your power steering pump is driven by the same belt so that would explain your steering problem...Check your drivebelt (s) first..

I've had a similar experience with my 04 wrx. I posted a new thread to get help, but not received a reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by hytzh8r View Post
    I'm new to the site and I've already searched the forums and found that many other people have had the same problems. However, I didn't really see a fix to the problem.
    My '04 WRX has had steering issues for 1 month now. The power steering "cuts-in and out" while driving. I thought I had a bad power steering pump, so I replaced it. That was not the problem because it's still doing it. I've been studying the ALLData steering diagrams, trying to figure out how the steering is setup and what might be the possible problem. There's a control valve that seems to control fluid to all the necessary parts. Could this be bad? Also, the parts stores lists a power steering filter available. Where does that go? Could it just be my filter is clogged? My car has right at 80k miles on it now.
    Has anyone had this problem? Again, the symptom: Steering tightens and loosens from side-to-side while driving. This is starting to get annoying. and I'm sure it's not safe either, as my wheel doesn't always straighten itself out after a turn.
    I've had it on the lift a couple of times and cannot find any visible signs of anything wrong. The belt seems fine, it was replaced 10 to 15k miles ago when I changed to lightweight pulley, still tight and doesn't squeak. The steering fluid is good, not leaked anywhere and not foamy.
    Also, when I hit a pothole or bump at low speeds, I can hear something rattle, like a loose heat sheild or something metal. I've tracked it to the left front wheel, a small knock when I move the wheel by hand back and forth. This may relate to the steering problem.
    Any ideas?
    HELP!!!!!!
    Thanks.
    My steering locks up, off and on. I don't have any lights coming on, nor do my belts squeak.
    Sounds like you may have more than one problem with yours. Yeah, if your battery is low, you may want to replace it soon, however it shouldn't affect your steering any unless the car itself doesn't stay running.
    The squeak probably indicates a loose or worn belt. Try tightening the tensioner pulley and check your belt for any wear or frays. Also, you can take the belt off the pump and turn it by hand to see if it squeaks. If so, you need to either replace or rebuild you pump.
    Also, if you have a bad pump, sometimes the steering fluid in the resorvoir will be foamy.
    Good luck, I hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Dimes to donuts your have a worn/slipped/broken drive belt..Your battery and brake light will come because the belt is bad and the alt. cannot charge your battery and obviously your power steering pump is driven by the same belt so that would explain your steering problem...Check your drivebelt (s) first..
    Damn dude,thank you!
    Every search I have done today on google,iwsti,So-cal Subies,I world,to NASIOC etc... has come back to a post of yours on this subject.
    This being the 3rd & final outcome of said searches , as well as the most probable hypotheses of my problem .

One question,would it not also be expected for the ''Rear dif temp'' light to also show up on my cluster w/ brake/battery lights,because it is effected in this domino effect of sorts too
    ?[starting with a failed PS/alternator belt]
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.