Help Revamping a '02 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help Revamping a '02 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all. I've gotten to a point where my car is 7 years old with 112,000 miles. I would like ...

Help Revamping a '02 WRX

Hello all. I've gotten to a point where my car is 7 years old with 112,000 miles. I would like to make it last longer but lately the power just isn't the same and seems sluggish often. In addition, it just seems like more and more parts are needing to be replaced and $500 services numerous times a year are starting to become the norm. I just had a 3,000 mile service and what not and it doesn't seem any better. The tranny was replaced right around 60k miles. (luckily just under 60k so it was part of the warranty)

So my question is, what could I do to revamp the car to make it last longer? For example, should I replace the engine? Go to a level 1 kit? Or get the hell rid of it and focus on something newer? Does it even make sense to spend more now to save over the long haul?

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jay
    Last edited by stunner; 09-17-2009 at 10:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well I can say this...I have seen properly maintained Subarus last people over 300,000 miles. With that being said, the decision to keep or sell the car is up to you..Obviously as you mentioned the higher the mileage the more things are going to need to be replaced ( usually ) So If you keep on top of replacing things it will get expensive but you will also have a good running car. Are you the only owner of the car? Describe " the power just isnt the same" Is the car boosting at all? When was the last time you had a full tune up ( 60k mile service)? If you start modding things It can/will get more expensive than a routine service. Did you have the t-belt changed at 105k miles?

Eatr,

I have kept up on all my services, and only in the beginning did I get a little crazy with it and I'm the only owner of the car, it has a clean record. (no accidents) What concerns me is that recently I was turning into traffic and it didn't have any boost. In fact, one time it lacked that boost so much that I thought it might start to sputter or get rear ended. This only happens sporadically. I checked my records, and yes, I had the t-belt changed at 105k.

Maybe you have a boost leak...I would be checking the two intercooler clamps at the throttle body and the two clamps at the outlet of the turbo compressor housing...make sure there tight.also look at all vacuum lines and make sure they are in good shape and connected properly. Or with that mileage maybe a good old fuel injection flush would help you out...or a seafoam of the intake manifold ( maybe you have some carbon buildup)..keep in mind its hard to diag. over the internet fore I cant see/hear/feel the car...Do you have any leaks of any kind? Like I mentioned it comes down to what you want to do in terms of keeping/selling the car....If you do decide to sell it Personally I would be looking into another Subaru...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.