Failed CA smog! Need some pointers!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Failed CA smog! Need some pointers!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, upon looking it up I'd agree. Now, is there any way to make it pass smog? I've got access ...

ok, upon looking it up I'd agree. Now, is there any way to make it pass smog? I've got access to a stock downpipe/midpipe...will it fit as if it were an MRT cat-back? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 02_wrx View Post
    Hey guys, alright 2002 wrx with 102,000 miles. Just bought it but it's become quite a project. Today I went in for the CA smog test, and failed! The car passed at 2500 rpm with no problem: HC at 73 with a max of 130. However, at idle the car bombed the test. It got a measured 202 at a max of 100. The car has aftermarket headers, catless up-pipe, stock turbo, stock (surprisingly) downpipe with the large cat, and a mid-pipe back exhaust, not sure what brand. So basically the only cat is the one on the downpipe. Car is running no codes, no CEL, runs fine. I just switched the cold air intake with a stock one, as to pass the visual inspection. Idle was at 729 and the car was plenty warm before the test. I am unsure if the car has had any electronic tuning previously, but it runs and drives great.

Any ideas what would cause this? What's my cheapest fix? I'm running out of money on this project

Hey, are you still having problems? Where in California are you?
    I'm in the South Bay Area near San Jose, if you want to come out here maybe I can help you out.

I've got a stock cat-back exhaust in my garage and about to add the stock uppipe and downpipe to that pile. All of these together would give you the full 3 catalytic converters that come in the stock car. I got no problem letting you borrow them for a few hours.

I'm in Fresno..hey thanks a ton for the offer, but I ended up just buying a stock exhaust and passed without any problems. I did find out however that my engine's eventually gonna crap out on me. Cylinder walls on 1 and 3 are pitted

I'm currently in the process of either trying to sell my car that way, or rebuild the motor but I'm running out of time since I will be starting school this next semester.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.