I Need Some Help Guys
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I Need Some Help Guys within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been having a problem for months now and theres a story to go along with this. Anyone who can ...

Registered User Affliction77711's Avatar

I Need Some Help Guys

I've been having a problem for months now and theres a story to go along with this. Anyone who can help me figure out what my problem is Thank you in advance.

I own a 2004 Impreza WRX. It just reached 60,000 miles. I have no engine modifications. I bought the car when it had 42,000 miles on it last october. At some point last winter I felt like my car was losing power. In first gear it started doing some kind of stutter, where the power drops off and restarts. I couldn't take it in to get checked for a few months because of money issues. I just tried to learn to drive with the problem.

Just last month, I was driving and my buddy noticed my turbo gauge was dead, not moving at all. I popped my hood to see what the deal was, and one of my hoses, (No I dont know the name of it) had broken clean off. It was the one that went to my boost gauge. I'm sorry I don't know the name of it I'm still learning.

I took it to the mechanics where they replaced my hose. I get my keys back start my car and to my surprise the Stutter in first gear had vanished! My car ran like the day I bought it last October! It felt amazing! It felt like a WRX again! My power was back and I was blazing around town feeling like the coolest kid.

Five days after I took it to the mechanics, I parked my car to go somewhere with my buddies. It sat there for about six hours and I got back in. And guess what! The stutter was back. My power was gone.

I did a lot of online researching, all my buddies said they thought it was a fuel issue. The mechanic said the same thing. I cleaned my injecters. I then replaced my fuel filter. And yesterday I replaced my fuel pump with a high performance Walbro fuel pump! NOTHING! The stutter in first gear remains! I just checked to see if the e-clips on my wastegate cylinder arm had broken off, and that wasn't it.

Guys please help me. I want my car to run like a WRX again. Do you have any ideas what else I could look into here? There is a stutter in first gear once I let go of the clutch pedal. My RPMs build to about 2000 and then as soon as I let the clutch go to get moving, something causes my rpms to drop down to 1000 and slowly pick back up causing my car to run very sluggish in the lower gears. All the different factors make this a confusing situation.I don't see how replacing my hose caused my car to run amazing for five days and then it goes back to this problem..What is going on here?? Please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you boosting at all? I'm inclined to think from the information you have provided that you have a boost leak...I would go over the entire system and make sure all vacuum lines/hoses are connected and not damaged...Also tighten and secure any clamps in the intake tract to the throttle body from the intercooler and the two clamps that are on the compressor outlet from the turbo to the intercooler...Is the CEL illuminated? Has this car had a hard life?

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am boosting once I'm past 3000 Rpms in first gear and second. Beyond second gear my car runs amazing. The cel is not on, and no this car has had a pretty peaceful life actually. No racing and I'm a careful driver. I checked the hoses today and clamps. Everything seems connected. My friend suggested it could be my up pipe causing this? He said if I swapped mine out for a Catless up pipe it could solve the drop off of power or lag in first gear?? Anyone else have any ideas or direction for me?

I want to also note that once I get above second gear my car rips power! It is amazing and so fast, but first and second gear are lagging power, and this stutter thing that goes on in first gear sucks. I have absolutley no launch power. My girlfriend's '98 Saturn has more power than my Subbie off the line right now because of that dump it does ......Anything guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Affliction77711 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Yes I am boosting once I'm past 3000 Rpms in first gear and second. Beyond second gear my car runs amazing. The cel is not on, and no this car has had a pretty peaceful life actually. No racing and I'm a careful driver. I checked the hoses today and clamps. Everything seems connected. My friend suggested it could be my up pipe causing this? He said if I swapped mine out for a Catless up pipe it could solve the drop off of power or lag in first gear?? Anyone else have any ideas or direction for me?

I want to also note that once I get above second gear my car rips power! It is amazing and so fast, but first and second gear are lagging power, and this stutter thing that goes on in first gear sucks. I have absolutley no launch power. My girlfriend's '98 Saturn has more power than my Subbie off the line right now because of that dump it does ......Anything guys?
    Are you sure its not just normal turbo-lag?

i would have it checked with a obdII, and at the same time reset the ecu!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Yea newb here man, whats an obdII???

OBD is On Board Diagnostics II is the second generation of it...everything from 96 up is OBD II everything before from I believe around 82-95 is OBD..anyways there should be a little port under / to the left of the steering column ( its a 16 pin plug) You can insert a scan tool in there and read everything from real time data to pulling codes out of the ECU, BIU, TCM , ABS/HCU etc etc etc...Of course it all depends on the year of the vehicle and the scan tool also...Anyways I guess what tarmacsti is talking about is viewing live data as the ECU sees it when your "problem" occurs fore you did mention the CEL was off... I was just reading your post a little bit closer also, swapping out the stock catted up-pipe is a good idea also as I'm not sure if you heard of the problems with those? ( cat. conv.breaking apart and getting sucked up into the turbo requiring a replacement turbo to properly repair..)

Seriously Thank you so much for looking at this thread and helping me out here guys! Do you have any Idea where I can purchase one of these scan tools for my 2004 WRX??

Wow..well I can this..you get what you pay for.. I personally have a $40 el cheapo one from harbor frieght which is just used to pull codes..however I believe Sears sells one that can show real time data... take a look here... Amazon.com: Actron CP9185 Elite AutoScanner Diagnostic Code Scanner: Automotive

Apart from inspecting all plumbing, the next thing I'd consider doing is to clean the MAF sensor. It's located right next to the air box on the plastic intake tube. Get a can of MAF sensor cleaner at a local auto parts store and give it a nice shower.

Another thing you can try is to seafoam the engine: Seafoamage but where?

Also make sure the air filter box is properly closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Affliction77711 View Post
    Seriously Thank you so much for looking at this thread and helping me out here guys! Do you have any Idea where I can purchase one of these scan tools for my 2004 WRX??
    Most auto parts stores (like Autozone) will read codes for free.

Sounds like a leak to me. Have all the plumbing checked. You might have another failed line somewhere. At 60k miles you have a service interval due as well.

Next time, don't wait. You saw it ended up being an easy fix the first time... (for a while anyway )
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

So I'm going to take my car in for a total tune up this week. I took it into our family mechanic yesterday. I had the guy drive my car and he said I definently had a problem on my hands. He said he heard a leak but couldn't find what the deal was so he didn't charge me anything. So I'm going to try just taking it in for a tune. I cleaned my MAF sensor and the problem didn't go away but thank you for the suggestion!

Another mechanic who drove my car said he thinks it is a timing issue. He said that since I still get power in the upper gears but I have this stutter in first gear, that one of my grounded lines could be wearing out or something. Has anyone ever had that happen?? I'm going to mention it when I take it in for the tune and pray to God that this problem I've dumped 1G on already finally is solved....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.